What's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Not for throwing the bat in and of itself. House leagues will often add this rule, but it does not exist in any rulebook that I am aware of.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
So any ump that calls a batter out is making up their own rules?

As has been said, it depends on what else is happening on the field. But, if there is no interference and there is no 'house rule' regarding thrown equipment, then at worst, yes; at best, they are mistaken and misremembering house rules from another time/place

May 16, 2021
As has been said, it depends on what else is happening on the field. But, if there is no interference and there is no 'house rule' regarding thrown equipment, then at worst, yes; at best, they are mistaken and misremembering house rules from another time/place

About 90% of all batters are called out before they ever get to first locally for throwing their bat

Jun 22, 2019
Never seen anyone get thrown out for throwing a bat. Usually when the catcher gets hit, the batter gets first, but in this case…i think I would have to see it.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A lot of people saying there is no rule for throwing a bat. That's not exactly true, I don't think. There is no rule that says a player is out for throwing a bat, but NFHS rules do permit an umpire to issue a warning for first offense and restriction to bench for a subsequent offense. Unless the line about a team member carelessly throwing a bat is not to be applied to a batter, but I see nothing to suggest that's the case.

May 29, 2015
NFHS 3.6.16
Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any other piece of equipment.

Penalty (Arts. 11 through 16)
The umpire shall eject the offender from the game, unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. If minor, the umpire may warn the offender and eject if the offense is repeated (Art. 13
[Unsporting acts]) ...

This rule is not intended for a batter who is releasing the bat on a swing (unless the umpire deems it was a deliberate act). I suppose you could stretch out a dead horse hide to make a broken drum to continue to beat ...

May 16, 2021
NFHS 3.6.16
Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any other piece of equipment.

Penalty (Arts. 11 through 16)
The umpire shall eject the offender from the game, unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. If minor, the umpire may warn the offender and eject if the offense is repeated (Art. 13
[Unsporting acts]) ...

This rule is not intended for a batter who is releasing the bat on a swing (unless the umpire deems it was a deliberate act). I suppose you could stretch out a dead horse hide to make a broken drum to continue to beat ...

LOL...I clearly said USA rules at the beginning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi