What's the call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2021
USA rules. Left handed batter swings, misses, throws bat hitting the catchers hand going for the passed ball.

May 29, 2015
I think my immediate call would be "OUCH!" (more likely a choice word, but same effect).

There isn't enough information here. On top of likely being a "had to be there" moment, were there runners on base? If nobody was on, it is nothing. If runners were on and there was a play to be made, the batter is out on the interference and runners return (NFHS). I'll have to grab my USA book, but I'm fairly certain it is the same.

NFHS Baseball has a specific type of interference called follow-through interference and actually has a different set of penalties, but that does not exist in softball.

May 16, 2021
I think my immediate call would be "OUCH!" (more likely a choice word, but same effect).

There isn't enough information here. On top of likely being a "had to be there" moment, were there runners on base? If nobody was on, it is nothing. If runners were on and there was a play to be made, the batter is out on the interference and runners return (NFHS). I'll have to grab my USA book, but I'm fairly certain it is the same.

NFHS Baseball has a specific type of interference called follow-through interference and actually has a different set of penalties, but that does not exist in softball.

So throwing the bat is a non issue?

May 29, 2015
Throwing the bat is a non-issue. Interference is an issue. Intentional throwing is an issue.

Most codes do not have any specific wording on throwing the bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi