Thought it was a virus, but!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I, for one, am a bit surprised and bothered that her coaching staff did not address the injury properly.
Head injuries are no joke, and I would have tough questions for the coaching staff - why she wasn't examined immediately?

To be fair, maybe her coaches didn't even know what happened?
I could see this happening, if she was engaged in an isolated drill and didn't have the coaches eyes on her at the time.
Sounds like she gave it little thought at the time.
"hit in the head by a line drive" seems like it would have drawn some attention, though.

DD did not tell me or her mom until sometime today and I got a feeling she did not tell coach either, I have not talked to her she called her mom who called me. She is the kind who normally will not complain.

Apr 12, 2015
No, she took her out of practice for 2 days and told her to take aspirin.

The actual injury took place a few days ago.

I would strongly recommend something more than a college nurse if she is still experiencing dizziness and nausea after a few days.

Feb 9, 2015
SoCal
Concussion protocol from CIF is no activity until 48 consecutive symptom (headache, nausea, dizziness, aversion to light, difficulty in concentrating or remembering, etc.) free hours followed by several days of gradually increasing exhertion (mostly based on heart rate and amount of time working out) during which symptoms must not reoccur. Only after a minimum of 7 days and with a doctor's written clearence is a player permitted to return to full practice or be permitted to play in a game.
While I consider last year's requirement that base coaches wear a helmet to be very stupid I totally agree with this year's adoption by the CIF of concussion protocols. From personal experience I know that allowing brain injuries to heal properly avoids prolonged negative problems.

Oct 19, 2009
After getting home from work I learned a little more; it happen Thursday the 20 after practice when her and 2 other stayed for extra PB a like drive glanced off the top of the screen she was pitching behind and hit her in the top of the head. Symptoms did show up, dizziness and nausea, for 5 days or Tuesday. The had a concussion test which was conducted last year prior to the season on all athletes. They retested her and the test showed a slight drop in test results which they diagnosed as a possible mild concussion.

She will not be allowed to practice or do any physical activities until her test are normal or equal to the last test she took.

She advised she felt better last evening.

I do not know what test they gave her, but below is a link to one type test they give patients.

http://www.brainline.org/downloads/PDFs/AcuteConcussionEvaluation_ACETest.pdf

Hopefully this will help other parents who may suspect they child may have a concussion.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Glad to hear your DD is better!

This is the one our hockey program has used for years: https://www.impacttest.com/ . Our school district also uses Impact. It is actually pretty inexpensive for schools to implement. I would also recommend it for larger organizations to use for their teams.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
No, she took her out of practice for 2 days and told her to take aspirin.

The actual injury took place a few days ago.

Um, I'm late to the party, but that's not really enough. They need to get her on the concussion protocol, where she comes back in baby steps--and never starts moving through the steps until she's symptom free. I'd expect a full practice to be at least 1-2 weeks away. My opinion as a Mom of a thrice-concussed kid...

I'm glad you sent her to the nurse, btw!

Apr 1, 2010
After getting home from work I learned a little more; it happen Thursday the 20 after practice when her and 2 other stayed for extra PB a like drive glanced off the top of the screen she was pitching behind and hit her in the top of the head. Symptoms did show up, dizziness and nausea, for 5 days or Tuesday. The had a concussion test which was conducted last year prior to the season on all athletes. They retested her and the test showed a slight drop in test results which they diagnosed as a possible mild concussion.

She will not be allowed to practice or do any physical activities until her test are normal or equal to the last test she took.

She advised she felt better last evening.

I do not know what test they gave her, but below is a link to one type test they give patients.

http://www.brainline.org/downloads/PDFs/AcuteConcussionEvaluation_ACETest.pdf

Hopefully this will help other parents who may suspect they child may have a concussion.

Ah, ok, I feel better now, lol. Yes, my DD's high school uses Impact. I'm glad they're testing the athletes at her school; I'm sure she's eager to get back, but try to get her to take it carefully if she'll listen. I've heard (and DD says this too) that the tests themselves are quite a strain on the recovering brain. She shouldn't try to re-take the test until she feels recovered. Good luck to her!

Oct 19, 2009
Email from DD late yesterday.

Okay, so I don't even know how I got a concussion bc it's not like it even hit me hard did not hurt at the time, plus I didn't start showing symptoms till 4/5 days after I got hit. It kind of makes me mad bc I really need to be doing stuff but they won't let me.

Plus my head hurts and I start to feel nauseous when I'm outside in the heat. Last night was horrible bc the air wasn't working in my math class and it just made my head hurt worse. Plus they told me to stay away from a computer as much as possible and I have an online class to deal with. They are suppose to test me again tomorrow.

Jan 25, 2011
Email from DD late yesterday.
Don't screw around any longer with this. If this is the email that you just got. Then get her to a neurologist. This is nothing to mess around with at all. You know what my dd went thru and I hope it isn't as bad as what my dd went thru. It is only sometime and money spent if it is nothing, but if it isn't, then the quicker you get ahead of it the better. Please Peppers, I know we have never meet, but please, please don't wait around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06