The umpire is out to get us! Or is he?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2015
Lol, you're a joke man, don't refute anything I said, just deflect, pathetic.

For everyone else, here's some evidence that tells a different story.
I'm counting:
1 clear strike called a ball
2 fairly clear strikes call balls
9 borderline pitches called balls

2 borderline pitches called strikes
1 clear ball called a strike

Mike Montgomery.png

Twins pitcher who threw the most innings.
I'm counting:
4 borderline pitches called balls
4 borderline pitches called strikes
Lewis Thorpe.png

That's not even umping.

May 29, 2015
It’s hard to refute something when you hadn’t provided anything but your opinion without any support.

Those charts are finally something we can discuss (even though you didn’t provide the source). Do some research and you find that MLB is actually using two different systems that provide very different results from each other. One provides public facing data and is horribly flawed, the other is used behind the scenes.

The data you are providing, is it adjusted to show the variance from each individual batter’s strike zone, or is it standardized into an “average” strike zone regardless of the actual hitter’s height or batting stance?

Not sure what you are calling “borderline”, but here is what I see:

I’m using anything touching the box line, but 50% or more on the other side as “borderline”. Keep in mind, a strike is any part of the ball entering the zone.

Pitches in the box called balls: Montgomery 2, Thorpe 2
Borderline strikes called balls: Montgomery 3 (maybe 4, there is one overlapping that I can’t quite tell), Thorpe 2

Pitches out of the box called strikes: Montgomery 1, Thorpe 0
Borderline strikes: Montgomery 2, Thorpe 0

By my count (unscientific as it is), that gives Montgomery one or two more missed strikes and one “gift” strike. A net of one missed strike compared to Thorpe.

As for his ejection ... yeah, you don’t get to stand on the mound cussing, staring, and repeatedly pointing at the umpire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi