the running start

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Ok, this is my dilemma.

Last year, at the Jv level, the coach was complaining, (rightfully so), that the girls were not hitting the ball, they did not look like they wanted to hit the ball, they were not swinging at the ball, they just pretty much stood there.

I was spending my time mostly during the season at the varsity games, and it was later in the season, that i watched the jv girls play..
He was right, they just stood there, when they swung, it was all foward, from a stop still, to stride swing.

I promised that this year, we would get them in a position to swing then stop, not stop, then swing.

Can i hear your veiws on the running start and how i can implement it to dozens of girls, at the same time?

The running start = stretch, coil foward, seperation scap pinch bat tip?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ok, this is my dilemma.

Last year, at the Jv level, the coach was complaining, (rightfully so), that the girls were not hitting the ball, they did not look like they wanted to hit the ball, they were not swinging at the ball, they just pretty much stood there.

I was spending my time mostly during the season at the varsity games, and it was later in the season, that i watched the jv girls play..
He was right, they just stood there, when they swung, it was all foward, from a stop still, to stride swing.

I promised that this year, we would get them in a position to swing then stop, not stop, then swing.

Can i hear your veiws on the running start and how i can implement it to dozens of girls, at the same time?

The running start = stretch, coil foward, seperation scap pinch bat tip?

A mechanical solution will not solve a mental problem. Yes, Yes...Swing v. Yes, Yes...Stop is a mindset that needs to be in each hitter's head - they are swinging at every pitch unless they see that the pitch is not in their zone.

I'd suggest that you teach a group new hitting mechanics the same way you'd teach a group to field, throw, run bases, slide etc.

I'll let others continue to try to explain to you the running start and its benefits.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
A mechanical solution will not solve a mental problem. Yes, Yes...Swing v. Yes, Yes...Stop is a mindset that needs to be in each hitter's head - they are swinging at every pitch unless they see that the pitch is not in their zone.

I'd suggest that you teach a group new hitting mechanics the same way you'd teach a group to field, throw, run bases, slide etc.

I'll let others continue to try to explain to you the running start and its benefits.

yes i teach every pitch is a strike, till its not, at first. Once they get a bit more advanced, i like to look inside or outside, choose.
When i saw what he was talking about, the jv coach, i did not think it was the mechanics at all. They looked half asleep.

My younger kids, do they all have good mechanics? heck no.

Do they believe they can hit the ball? Heck yes. Thats part of MY JOB. Confidence. Some of the my girls, swing out their.,,?, you get the picture, with long arms and head pulled, but they swing.

So my first thought was, what happened to their confidence, their fire, their determination? Coaching during the game and season?
Jv pitching is easier than travel ball, most of the time.

But, they were just standing there, and mechanics of the running start is what i would like to hear about.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't rule out that the JV coach may be emphasizing/requiring the other pitcher to throw strikes or to have his batters not swing until they take a strike; however, a running start alone will not solve the problem you describe.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I walked by a few JV games last year. A strategy of just standing there would have been sufficient to win.

Perform a search ... the topic has been addressed multiple times here at DFP.

Jan 13, 2012
Mann, basically, the running start is getting the pelvis turned from closed to open.

Here's an excellent example, with a nice take:
Gehrig-Lou-Take-Side-Slow-Motion.gif

Sep 17, 2009
Your question is not about mechanics but something more basic: what do they swing the swing is? how do they think it works? ie: what's their "swing thought."

As a starting point, just talk to them. They are going to say, I stand there till I see the ball coming at me and if I like it I swing at it. You'll answer that the swing starts before they decide to swing and that they have a dance they must do in synch with the pitcher (I think that's a Howard phrase). They'll likely have no idea. So start there.

Then...teach them how to stretch and fire ; >

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG