The Risks Of Ankle And Knee Injuries When Using Metal Cleats On Poorly Maintained Fie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Guest post by*Shana Brenner,*Marketing Director of*CoverSports According to recent reports, injuries to teenage athletes across all sports are on the rise. In particular, there has been a significant increase in knee injuries among teen athletes, specifically ACL tears, and females under the age of 18 are believed to be at a higher risk than their […]
b.gif

More...

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Metal does grab better... no denying that!
I just saw a local ortho doctor on tv doing a comercial last week on the topic of acl tears are nearly tripple in females than males.... it was more geared towards basketball injuries, but a tear is a tear.
I agree with OILF here about the ankles rolling while sliding into a bag is by far the most common injury I've seen in all my years on a diamond, both playing and coaching in both male and females.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I failed to see how she made the connection between metal and injuries. She lost me bu citing a 1 page article by an insurance company when she stated - According to recent reports, injuries to teenage athletes across all sports are on the rise. However, where you read the article it says that concern is on the rise. Garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
After reading the article on field maintenance (duh) I found no supporting evidence that would point to metal cleats being the cause of more of these injuries. If you have ruts in your field it wouldn't matter if you had on spikes, tennis shoes or were barefoot. Some people are just content making a boogeyman out of spikes. In fact every time someone brings them up we get the usual posts about girls rolling their ankles. Living in NJ, which is the epitome of the Nanny state, we just allowed spikes this year. I can't help but believe that if there were enough supporting evidence regarding this injury we would not allow them.

For some reason this topic has become my pet peeve. My take is if you are afraid of your DD getting a torn off foot from wearing spikes, buy her plastic.

Last, I'm willing to take the time to read or search this statistic and alter my thinking but I can find no evidence of it being the catalyst surrounding ankle or knee injuries. Bueller?....anyone???

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I believe that the International Fastpitch Footwear Induced Injury Association has not yet delved deep enough to have sufficient data regarding knee or ankle injuries to females who haven't learned to slide before and after switching to metal spikes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles