Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
And in the case of Stick's daughter

When her shoulders are counter rotating which direction is her butt turning?

5QVH9T4_zpsiexp5dgk.gif

Now compare to

tYSxNz.gif

and - when the "16" comes into view which way is her butt turning?

wdLm4j.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Agreed TDS, You have it right, but the problem is communicating the message that will yield the desired results. Replies by many posters tells us, they themselves can't yet grasp the idea of the core(proximal) as the place to focus initially. Instead they focus on the arms and legs(distal) areas because what they see(think immediate feedback) as an issue with the arms or legs is actually rooted in a much deeper fault. So, knowing it would be a stretch for this young hitter to understand this discussion, how do we deliver the message in a way that delivers the desired result.
In other words, how do we trick the student into moving in a way that activates the core without talking about the core?
How do we get the student to swing within the sagittal without using the word sagittal plane?
How do we get the student to use the.......
There are lots of Dad's and Mom's reading here that cannot or have not yet made the connection so the discussion is actually an attempt to make them understand first. They ask for ways to make their hitter understand, but what they need are words to make them understand too.

5QVH9T4_zpsiexp5dgk.gif

So as a visual for this hitter, watch how the head drops straight down THEN goes forward toward the pitcher(I know it's tee-work). Overlap those movements, go forward as She lowers... What words make this hitter go forward and lower dynamically without saying "go forward and lower dynamically"? Go TJ

TJ, I would start by creating movement/stretch within the sagittal plane. Similar to the movements we see with this young girl.

This is another example.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
TJ, I would start by creating movement/stretch within the sagittal plane. Similar to the movements we see with this young girl.

This is another example.

OOPS!! you said "SAGITTAL" I win:D:D
Some might view that movement as "scap" load?

Aug 28, 2012

This is another example.

The question isn't what you would do to get yourself in the pattern. You already have an idea what all those words means and what action you think you have to do to put those words into movement.

The question is what do you tell a student to get them to do it? What words do you use? What body parts do you mention?

Here is the hitter.. Standing in front of you without the slightest understanding of anything you just said. Instruct her. Give her something to work with. I put my words out there. Buttermaker put his words out there. What are your tangible action words to instruct this hitter to do what it is you want her to do?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
if that works for you great... personally I think its all the same, just different ways of communicating to the player to achieve an end movement pattern.

So... what would you communicate to the hitter here as instruction to "put the legs in neutral (not active) and allow the responsibility of the movement to be caused by the core"? What would you say? What would you have them do? How would you tell them to do it?

Bumpity bump bump.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The question isn't what you would do to get yourself in the pattern. You already have an idea what all those words means and what action you think you have to do to put those words into movement.

The question is what do you tell a student to get them to do it? What words do you use? What body parts do you mention?

Here is the hitter.. Standing in front of you without the slightest understanding of anything you just said. Instruct her. Give her something to work with. I put my words out there. Buttermaker put his words out there. What are your tangible action words to instruct this hitter to do what it is you want her to do?

Noon, I instruct my hitters to create pre-swing pumps using the middle.. The pump causes the tip/untip across the plate which sets up the inside out movement. I want the hands/arms to work with the middle to create change of barrel direction.. I want them to feel the barrel with there core.. Of course I show them multiple clips which support the movement..

Moving forward catcher/pitcher is un-important to me.. If they move forward as a result of the core actions great if not no big deal. The bottom line is I want my hitters to learn how to drive the ball without the need/use of momentum.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Noon, I instruct my hitters to create pre-swing pumps using the middle..
How? Like an ab crunch? What do I move where to create a pre-swing pump using the middle?

The pump causes the tip/untip across the plate

The pump creates both the tip and the untip? What is the pump in body part terms and how do you perform it? Is it a 2 step action like a bike pump where you do one thing (pull the handle out) and then another (push the handle back). Or is it some other kind of pump? again body parts and what they do please. Is the pump a quick pump or is it a slow pump? Can you pick a regular GIF of a hitter and give some frame counts for the pump?

which sets up the inside out movement.
What do you mean inside out? proximal is inside? distal is outside? what body parts are inside and where so they go out to create this inside out movement?

...snip...

we'll come back to the rest later.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
How? Like an ab crunch? What do I move where to create a pre-swing pump using the middle?

I would say it feels similar to a soft core pulse while the lower back is resisting. The pulse is then released which causes the un-tip.. The second pulse is the swing.

What do you mean inside out? proximal is inside? distal is outside? what body parts are inside and where so they go out to create this inside out movement?

inside/out as in from behind the hitter to the front (s-plane).

Similar to bb/a$$ (my version) without the twist..

I see those movements here with AH. Try doing this pump sequence.. Girls who fake bunt and swing can create the same movement pattern as well... For sh!t$ and giggles try a fake bunt and swing without the arm actions using the soft pulse while resisting with the lower back.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Noon, I instruct my hitters to create pre-swing pumps using the middle.. The pump causes the tip/untip across the plate which sets up the inside out movement. I want the hands/arms to work with the middle to create change of barrel direction.. I want them to feel the barrel with there core.. Of course I show them multiple clips which support the movement..

Moving forward catcher/pitcher is un-important to me.. If they move forward as a result of the core actions great if not no big deal. The bottom line is I want my hitters to learn how to drive the ball without the need/use of momentum.

Sounds a lot like "Watch and swing like Miggy" to me.

May 3, 2014
Sounds a lot like "Watch and swing like Miggy" to me.

Granted it is not easy to communicate via written word let alone to someone standing next to you - it is why I have taken the approach to use some different cues to get a hitter to hopefully figure out how to use their core while at the same time putting them into a better sequence.

It is not like a traditional ab crunch - it is more like bracing yourself and releasing. The energy flows from the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan