Stride length

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
How far should you stride and how high should you cock your knee up and in?10u and 12u

I measure the width of the shoulders and divide in half and add 2 inches. For example 16 inches shoulder width, divide by half equals 8 inches plus 16 equals 24 and I add 2 inches and that is experience from 3,000 kids not a swag either. This is where we start and I chalk around their feet and when they have adjusted and feel comfortable we use that as a starting point. Then we lay the bat down and use the bat knob at the lead foot and then use the bat graphics and see where the back foot toe lines up and they have a pretty good idea where it should be until they can do it with their eyes closed.

We do probably the simplest weight shift...a knee cock. Simply turn you lead foot knee rearward a little and the weight is inside your back leg and not over it. Have them look at their self in a mirror using the stance above and point out between their legs looks like a pyramid. Now look at the head and tell them it should not move rearward and do a simple knee cock. If the head moved they leaned backwards. Point out the back hip is the back side of the pyramid and the lead hip is the front side of the pyramid and only to move the front side and as they pick up the lead foot the weight will shift forward.

The knee turns in because the foot turned in to shift the weight.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard the distance you describe, is this their stance or where they stride to and what is avg distance between stance and stride? thanks Eric!

This is their stance, they load and keep the foot close to the ground and will fall forward naturally. If you want to see if they are leaning backwards verses staying inside their back leg, simply stand in front of them at their shoulder and brace yourself and ask them to pick up their leg foot and you will either be holding their body weight or they will be leaning backwards to some degree...measurable and observable and we tested for it.

The stride will be natural as we do not advocate the high or extremeness in a leg kick etc.

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Ok I get (Im a little Ld at times) Had to read it again. Once again thanks for your knowledge!Eric

Do not make fun of my LD kids as they are LD all the time and this is how we teach so everyone gets it. Just teasing!

Thanks Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes