Starting a TB team for social reasons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Starsnuffer, my focus is on our daughter, but she's a part of the community and wants to continue her friendships while also preparing to advance to a higher level of softball within a couple of years.

I do take her wishes into consideration, but she also wants to pitch and in an area like ours or SoCal, only the most dominant of dominant pitchers go to 12u A ball early. Remember, these girls are coming right out of rec. They do play summer All-Stars and comp B ball in the fall, but year-round A ball is another monster entirely. It's for that reason, I have to make sure that her progression is nice and steady, despite what she might want to do right now.

The other pitcher I mentioned, her friend, is the same age, but is not at the same level pitching-wise. She's a strong kid and has the raw ability to develop into a good comp pitcher, but she is not there yet. Her parents know this and they told me their DD knows this as well. But that AC has told them she will pitch and IMO oversold them on what skipping to 12u can do for her, even though he openly admits to me and to them "I want her bat - the kid can hit".

Feb 3, 2011
Sluggers, thanks for that info. Our area is about 1/3 the population you had to draw from and at least 1/2 our town is 55 or older. Our league is growing, and I'm proud of that, but IMHO we're several years from having enough talent in 1 year group to be competitive in 12u unless the current 01s stick around for another season of development, which would, I believe, give the coaches more perspective and a better chance to be successful next fall and beyond.

I'm not saying my suggestion is the perfect plan, but I think it would increase their chances for success in an area where patience is not exactly a common virtue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi