Sportsmanship is not dead

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
First time post but had to get this out there. DD is 11 and has been pitching for 2 yrs. Last year blossomed and became competitive with placement and off speed pitch. We began TB last summer and have been doing well. In August last year she complained of right knee pain (RHP). She muscled through it and we took a three week break during the holiday season. In January we started back with strength and conditioning. After about two weeks she began having exertional pain in the right knee after about an hour of activity. We saw Ortho who said she had Lateral Patelar displacement syndrome. We rehabbed for three weeks and took it easy and was released from rehab but continued to have knee pain with exertion, usually after about 20 min. Had MRI and was diagnosed with Osteochondritis Dessacans and ultimately underwent arthroscopic knee surgery two days ago. Ortho said she should make a full recovery and be able to play ball again.
Needless to say we are on hiatus from rec ball and TB for now. She was determined to go to the ball park last night for a rec league game. The opposing team coach and players all put her jersey number and first name on their under-eye stickers. Made me proud to be a part of the association and made me understand that sportsmanship is not dead. We lost the game despite a heroic comeback. At the end of the game everyone stood in the pitchers circle and prays. She was invited by the opposing coach to the pitchers mound and prayer for a speedy recovery was offered. As a coach and a father I still tear up, but I am proud of the sportsmanship shown by the opposing coach and players.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Thank You so much for the positive feedback and the likes... Unfortunately she will not make it back to pitch rec league as she will be out for at least 3 months. We'll see if she will be able to make it back to the mound at TB tournament before fall break. Will update at that time. Today is day 5 post-op and already is rehab in well. Has 90 degrees of flexion and is working the quads out. Still non weight bearing.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
UPDATE: Saw Ortho yesterday and he has been impressed by her recovery. She is back to full load bearing and walking normally. Not able to run, jump, or jar the knee. He wants to give the cartilage at least 12 weeks to heal before training resumes. No putting torque on the knee so no batting practice. She is MISERABLE just watching. Looks like it may be august before she can start training again. She has a lot of atrophy in the launch leg so I know she has a lot of hard work ahead of her before she gets back to where she was. Still proud of the softball association as they ordered her a 'honorary' all star jersey saying she would have surely made it if she would have been healthy.

Jul 5, 2016
Happy to hear your ortho caught the problem while your daughter was so young. Some orthos don't catch Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) until it is more advanced and harder to treat. I was a bit surprised to see only two mentions of OCD on this entire forum, but it really is pretty rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi