speaking of grips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
My DD-14 is just now experimenting to learn a movement pitch or two. is there anywhere on the internet that we can see different grips & maybe short explanations for different pitches??

At an indoor practice last weekend I watched an older girl throwing a pitch that seemed to move really well . she gripped the ball much like my DD grips a circle change except maybe the circle with the forefinger wasnt quite closed & the pitch was definitely a drop, & seemed to be a drop curve to me. I had DD try it this week & wow could she make it move, but had no control whatsoever. 90% hit the dirt well in front of the plate. I intend to work on this one some more- maybe if she gets it in the air more I can tell more about the curve or not. thanks for the help.

Feb 19, 2009
I'd like to see a grip diagram and explaination somewhere too but I wonder if what your describing is a kid with accidental movement rather than mevement by design.

A couple of seasons ago my dd was one of two pitchers for her rec team. It was fall ball and the PU didn't show up for a game so I got recruited to do it and got a good look at this other kid pitching for the first time. She was left handed and all she did was lead a little more with the pinkie than the thumb on her release and she would get a topspin on her pitch that was angled to the left of the batter which would have the effect of breaking late, outside and downward. To her it was just her fastball and she couldn't help but throw it that way but it was an effective pitch.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
No dusty this was an advanced pitcher & I watched her throw several different movement pitches- this was just the one that impressed me most because she really had it working & it was one of the few that I got a good look at her grip on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12