So Many Colleges.... Part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
In my continuing quest to help my HS sophomore pick a list of colleges that she is interested in.... we have been attending various local college fairs. For those of you who haven't been - a college fair is an impressive site. Row upon row of colleges all lined up alphabetically with throngs of students and their parents searching around for the very best schools. I find myself feeling very sympatheic towards the school that has the alphabetical misfortune of being lined up next to the ever popular Southern California or Florida schools. The poor rep stands there with a game smile on her face while herds of kids ignore her nicely set up table for the glitz and glamor of Big Name, On the Beach School.

DD and I found ourselves gravitating towards many of the smaller school tables, simply because there wasn't a wait. DD found several small schools that she is now very excited about. Her ability to speak coherently with the college rep improved at each table, especially after she instructed me not to speak at all, under any circumstance - ha ha. Her one little stumble was when she briefly thought that a small town in Oregon was in New England and proceeded to pontificte about her love for New England, much to the confusion of the rep. DD bravely corrected herself and forged on somewhat successfully, enthusiastically exclaiming about how much she loves the rain ("huh???" I'm thinking).

One of the schools which has been sending DD brochures and such was at the fair. I pointed out the table and told DD to go and say hello. DD marched up.... and went to the wrong table - the one right next to it with a similar sounding name (which she then said that she hated). Afterwards she was too horrified to return, so that school's interest will have to remain unrequited until next time. (or maybe forever, as the school is now branded for the crime of sounding just like another school)

DD's original plan of attending a small-ish college in the Northeast is now blown to smithereens as she is glowing under the possiblities of colleges scattered about pretty much all over the place. One in which she was told that the only way to get there is by taking a 9-seater propeller plane from the nearest metropolus ("which is very exciting!" said the rep. DD heartily agreed). Great.

There are literally thousands of colleges out there, and they all do a fantastic job of making themselves sound amazing. There were a handful of schools that DD rejected based upon their table decor and what the rep was wearing. Ahhh, the joys of selling yourself to 16 year olds.

If anyone else has some funny stories to share about your own DD's college search, please post them! We all need to smile through this craziness :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi