Slugger/Bat Speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
LJTx
My 11yr is pretty strong for her age. She has some quick hands and power. The problem is that it almost seems as though she slows down her bat speed during gametime. That and she's swinging for the fence, which I constantly tell her not to do.

She came close to hitting it over the fence last fall, ball bounced off the leftcenter fence. But that was because as she was setting up and getting ready in the Batter's Box the pitcher which was quick pitching, throws the ball, my DD looks up and crushs the ball. I told her after that game "see what happens when you let the ball get in the strike zone and hit the ball where it's pitched."

I'm trying to explain to her the difference between "quick, fast bat" vs. "swinging for the fence, which is not a good thing right?". We did start seeing a very good hitting coach last fall, but due to her job committment being a hs softball coach we will not start our lessons again until their season is over.

She currently swings a 32/22 and has tried a 32/23 rocket tech which she said did not feel right being end loaded and all. She's tried my nieces 33/23 C4 (that bat has some pop) which she liked but it seems abit too long for her for now.

Any suggestions softball family?

Oct 25, 2009
Read, watch and study the "Thoughts on Daughter's Swing" thread in this same forum. That will answer your questions pretty thoroughly.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Does she control the bat when she gets it started or does the bat control her? I have mine focus on the word "smooth". 5'9" 32/22

Nov 22, 2010
LJTx
Does she control the bat when she gets it started or does the bat control her? I have mine focus on the word "smooth". 5'9" 32/22

Yes, she can control the bat. We do our "one handed drills" with her normal bat, which I was onced told was a good way of finding out if a bat was too heavy. And thanks for the replies.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
It sounds like when she's 'swinging for the fence" she has a longer (casting) swing?
Do some video. That's where I am- need video to see what's up and also to show DD what she's doing and what we're trying to achieve.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It sounds like when she's 'swinging for the fence" she has a longer (casting) swing?
Do some video. That's where I am- need video to see what's up and also to show DD what she's doing and what we're trying to achieve.

Without video we're all guessing as to what is meant by Jrcjr's somewhat vague terms ... "quick hands", "swinging for the fence", "quick, fast bat", etc. ... terms that have different meanings to different individuals.

Nov 22, 2010
LJTx
Well we started hitting lessons with the hs coach again a few weeks back. It all boils down to having a good practice on a routine bases for muscle memory, and timing "thowing the hips at the point of contact". I ended up getting her the 32/22 exno, very good bat, kid brought me an awsome report card! That and we have gone though all of her older sisters hand me downs.

She is a work in progress and has moved up to the 6th spot on a 14U team with some good hitters. Abbygale, thanks for making us think "smooth". Seems to be working and helping her stay balanced. But like my niece (a hs pitcher) told my DD, you need to "train hard so games come easy". Working on video and thanks for the input sb family!

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
Right up my alley and could give you a long drawn out answer to your question but the simple answer to help is for a time being when she gets back into the different swings is to have her consistently and constantly focus on hitting the ball straight back from hence it was pitched. Focusing on the big hits and pulling the ball is great but also challenging her to know the situations and to concentrate more on driving the ball straight back up the middle will lead to a better average in the long run and will impose patience and remove the thought of trying to hit the ball out of the park. Practice staying inside the ball and driving the ball where its pitched. Working with a Tee on the inner half, middle and outside parts of the plate and having her drive the ball to each field will also better help her understand how to hit a ball where its pitched. An opposite field homerun on the outside part of the plate is the most beautiful homerun an hitting coach can ask for.

Reason: Focusing on Driving the Ball up the middle will allow her to consciously focus on waiting for the ball to travel through the zone increasing bat speed and muscle memory.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2010
LJTx
Reason: Focusing on Driving the Ball up the middle will allow her to consciously focus on waiting for the ball to travel through the zone increasing bat speed and muscle memory.[/QUOTE]

Nice tip Richards, going to have my DD read this after school today. Thanks for the input!

Aug 9, 2011
My thoughts are her bat may be a bit small. My girls (14U) use a 32/19-22. So if your daughter is a slugger with fast hands and in HS, you may consider upping her bat weight. That will slow down the swing and ultimately give her more power due to Newton's first three laws of motion.
Hope this helps...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp