Slapper out of box on wild pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
In all rule sets? I thought this was a baseball rule.

In USA, 7.6.U, the batter is out, with no exceptions based on number of outs.

Hmmm ... good catch! Looking this one up and you appear to be correct (unless I am missing it too!) ...

Let's take apart USA Softball rules ...

Rule 1 -- Definitions -- Interference: The act of an offensive player or team member, umpire or spectator that impedes, hinders, of confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary.

Rule 7 -- Batting -- Section 3 -- Batting Position
D.
(Junior Olympic) After entering the batter's box, the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot between pitches and while taking signals and practice swings. (Joke commentary -- how do you keep one foot between pitches?)
EXCEPTIONS: The batter can leave the box:

1. When the ball is batted fair or foul.
  2. On a swing, slap, or check swing.
  3. When forced out of the box by a pitch.
  4. On a wild pitch or passed ball.
  5. When a play is attempted.
  6. When time has been called.
  7. When the pitcher leaves the eight-foot circle or the catcher leaves the catcher's box.
  8. On a three ball count pitch that is a strike and the batter thinks it is a ball.
EFFECT: If the batter leaves the batter's box and delays play, for any other reason the umpire may warn the batter or call a strike. Any number of warnings and called strikes can be made with each batter. No pitch has to be thrown and the ball is dead.

RULE 7 -- Batting -- Section 6 -- The Batter is Out
R.
When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter's box.
S. When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box.
T. When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.
U. When interfering with a play at home plate.
EFFECT: Section P-S: The ball is dead, the batter is out and each runner must return to the last base that, in the umpire's judgment, was touched at the time of the interference.
EXCEPTION: If no play is being made and the batter accidentally makes contact with the catcher's throw to the pitcher, the ball is dead and any advancement of the runner(s) shall be nullified.

(NOTE: The "EFFECT" section ONLY applies to P-S ... not T and U, so let's look at the rules for runners ...)

Rule 8 -- Batter-Runner and Runner -- Section 6 -- A Runner Must Return to Their Base
C. When a batter, batter-runner or runner is called out for interference. All other runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of interference.

(NOTE: Now I am not sure why P-S need a called out "EFFECT" as that seems to be what happens anyway.)

Unless anybody finds anything in a case play (mumble ... mumble) @Greatdaytobeawildcat is correct that USA Softball does NOT have the runner being called out provision. Now I need to go look at the others more closely (later).

Oct 24, 2010
[...]

RULE 7 -- Batting -- Section 6 -- The Batter is Out
R.
When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter's box.
S. When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box.
T. When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball, in or out of the batter's box.
U. When interfering with a play at home plate.
EFFECT: Section P-S: The ball is dead, the batter is out and each runner must return to the last base that, in the umpire's judgment, was touched at the time of the interference.
EXCEPTION: If no play is being made and the batter accidentally makes contact with the catcher's throw to the pitcher, the ball is dead and any advancement of the runner(s) shall be nullified.

(NOTE: The "EFFECT" section ONLY applies to P-S ... not T and U, so let's look at the rules for runners ...)
[...]

It does apply to 7.6.R-U (2020/21); quoting from an older edition? Hint: The effect always applied to these four rules despite being dropped in the editing process.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
It does apply to 7.6.R-U (2020/21); quoting from an older edition? Hint: The effect always applied to these four rules despite being dropped in the editing process.

Thank you. I guess I need to update my digital copy. 2019 was the last time I paid USA any money ... :giggle:

May 16, 2016
Interesting, this popped up in my news feed today... I think the catcher intentional tried to draw the interference call, or did he think it was a dropped 3rd?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619