should I get a new glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
When I started catching a year ago, I wasn't sure if I was gonna stick with it. I did, and I started taking lessons. The glove that I use was given to me by a friend (I never got to pick my own glove out) it's a Nokona TNCMFP I believe. It's not breaking in well in the year I've had it (still quite stiff) and the inside is very hard and scratchy (I always wear a palmguard glove underneath)

Will that glove get better and more broken in? Or should I get a new one?

Can you recommend any for me? My friend has a Worth Liberty that's broken in REALLY nicely, but Liberty's are pretty pricey. I tried on an Easton Synergy one and that felt nice.

What do you think?

sru

Jun 20, 2008
My DD uses a Mizuno MVP Prime (black, green lettering) She loves that glove. Break took a few months, has tons of support, is comfortable to her and is reasonably priced.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Try out some other gloves-I mean just in a store try them on and see how they feel. I did that with DD and was kind of surprised to see that some gloves "fit like a glove" from the start and others just did not feel right. a few weeks later I saw a Wilson mitt that looked like the gloves she was liking and bought it. turned out it was a perfect fit, not pricey and broke in very easily.

Whether you get a new glove or not, start trying on different kinds. Each mfr is different.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My DD has the same glove, still stiff after 1y of sporadic beating :-\ , but in no way scratchy or uncomfortable for her. The cowhide Nokona gloves take a lot of beating, the other leathers like buckaroo are allegedly much easier.

You might consider a used glove for this year and keep beating the Nokona for next, eventually it will be a great glove, wish I could tell you when.

Jun 13, 2010
There is a boot grease that is designed for wild land firefighting boots called Obenhaughs or maybe spelled Obenhoufs or something like that. It will do wonders for this glove. this glove is made of leather that is far better than almost any glove out there.And it nwill take longer to break in because of it . If you cant find it locally google it Im sure it will come up.

Jun 13, 2010
There is a boot grease that is designed for wild land firefighting boots called Obenhaughs or maybe spelled Obenhoufs or something like that. It will do wonders for this glove. this glove is made of leather that is far better than almost any glove out there.And it nwill take longer to break in because of it . If you cant find it locally google it Im sure it will come up.

Obenhaufs About 12- 14 $

Aug 12, 2010
Well i think you should get a new easton glove! I have one and I love it! It breaks in very nicely and the leather is very smooth and soft inside so I love mine and I think you'll like yours to but, remember you have to love like you love the game:) Your palmguard should not be brocken in cuz if it is you need to get a new one. P.S I am a catcher also and have had the same problem.

Jan 30, 2010
mine just got a Worth D1 I think for $75 took less than 3 wees to break in. She loves its.
Just bought the same one for $49. two weeks just starting to form a nice pocket. By week 3 should be real nice.
One of my catchers uses a Nokona (4months)and is really stiff.She uses it during warm up all the time.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I know this is a stale thread, but FTR, finally got the TNCMFP steamed for $10 at a parking lot sale, and it's like magic.
Having seen the trick, I would now have no problem boiling a pan of water in a 250F oven, turning the oven off and steaming for 3 minutes.
I'd smear the glove with the OEM glove conditioner first, or maybe something containing lanolin.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi