Should a High school player play both Pitcher and Catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2022
Thank you. This is super insightful and highlights my concerns. She is certainly doing it for the team’s sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Problem! Glad I could help!

And no matter if everyone says its a team sport. If its the difference between injury and not getting time in your primary position, and playing the position you want and her being happy. I would always go for what would make her happy. I know a bunch of players around me getting burnt out from softball, because they aren't playing the positions they want.

Honestly I'm just glad that you came on here to ask questions about it, instead of just throwing her in both positions and hoping for the best.

Good Job Parent!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
We played a team last week whose #1 pitcher is also their #1 catcher. She's a pretty good pitcher for schools around here. She's adequate as a catcher.

That team's problem is the #2 catcher absolutely cannot handle her when she pitches. The team is probably better off with the #2 pitcher most games. We beat her, but I suspect most teams they play cannot.

Dec 23, 2017
You are one foul tip away from being done for the summer.

One foul tip this week and who else will step in to catch.

Yes, definitely my concern. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being too sensitive. There's another catcher on the team. While she may not be as good as my DD, she is more experienced at the position and wants to play it. I don't see any reason that my DD should play catcher, short of an emergency or the absence of the other catcher.

This is her coach's first time coaching softball and the coach appears to have a win at any cost mentality.

Dec 23, 2017
No Problem! Glad I could help!

And no matter if everyone says its a team sport. If its the difference between injury and not getting time in your primary position, and playing the position you want and her being happy. I would always go for what would make her happy. I know a bunch of players around me getting burnt out from softball, because they aren't playing the positions they want.

Honestly I'm just glad that you came on here to ask questions about it, instead of just throwing her in both positions and hoping for the best.

Good Job Parent!
From a health perspective for pitching, I would prefer that she play any non-pitcher position other than catcher. She's also the team's best MI. While it makes the most sense for her to play MI when she's not pitching, I'm not opposed to her playing OF or 3B rather than catcher. She's a competent, but not excellent MI and over the long run, she could be a better outfielder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00