She's called for the ball...and wants to be #1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
While chatting on the way home from school yesterday, my DD informed me that she needs to start getting ready for softball tryouts (what she calls our evaluation day), which are in a month. It's been a little over 2 months since she last touched a softball and she's apparently chomping at the bit to get back to it now, even though she raised the issue out of the blue.

And she says she intends to be a #1 and wants her name 'at the top of the board'.

I know I should be less pessimistic, given that many of the B-level 10u pitchers in the region are nowhere near as good as she is, but I just want to be realistic because of the age difference and not get too caught up in the excitement. I mean, she could very well be one of the top 5-6 pitchers at 10u in our town. It'll all depend on who shows up. But I want her knowing she's got our support regardless of where she's playing.

I was secretly hoping she'd wait until the weather was a little bit warmer to make the call, but as I'm sure many of you have already experienced, #1 pitchers wait for no dad. :)

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
#1 pitchers wait for no dad. :)

This is a true statement. Do not make her wait either. If she wants to practice, dust off your bucket and find your glove. At the very least, you will get to spend some quality time with your DD.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
It's been a little over 2 months since she last touched a softball and she's apparently chomping at the bit to get back to it now, even though she raised the issue out of the blue.

And she says she intends to be a #1 and wants her name 'at the top of the board'. :)

It's always great when your DD is motivated and doesn't have to wait for dad to suggest it! One thing, if she wants to be the top pitcher and wants to stay there I would not go two months without pitching a ball. My DDs PC says that for every week you take off from pitching, it takes one week to get back to where you were. I think this statement has a lot of truth to it. Even if you live somewhere where you can't pitch outdoors year-round, I would find some place in the basement, garage, warehouse etc. where she can practice during the off season. While its important to take a break every once in awhile you don't want her losing all the great progress she has made before the break. Enjoy your time on the bucket this year.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I do not agree at all. Even a pitcher needs recovery time. At least a month and if you can 2 months is good.

Last year my DD took 2 months off (for injury so it was forced) and she came back faster and stronger than ever. This year she will only get about 5 weeks off due to scheduling. I really wish she could get more.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
From my experience, the top pitchers use the off-season to work on perfecting their craft. Unless the player is burned out, 10U kids don't really need 8 weeks or more to "recuperate". Injury aside, use this downtime as an opportunity to focus on improvement areas and allows for a smooth, seamless transition as the next season starts. I personally enjoy this one on one time with DD while not having to worry about the other coaching commitments.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The #1 on my 14U team pitched an 11 inning thriller in the fall. After
that tournament, she asked her dad for the ball as well. I put the gun on her
at practice before her last tournament and she was throwing FB at 55 and rise
consistently at 57. The increase in velocity was 4 mph. She threw 3 games that weekend
17 IP, zero walks, 21-K's, 1 earned run one unearned run. She then shut down for
a month. Last night I saw her throwing with her dad, I stopped and she is excited
to begin games in 5 weeks, wants to be ready. Her dad was as happy as she was
for the quality time. It is the first time in 4 years I have seen her so motivated.
If she keeps it up, she will be a very special pitcher-makes me look forward to the 2011
season. I wish I could clone her......

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD is 1st year 14U....after Fall ball was completed she attended her weekly pitching lesson and that was it for softball until this week, when we began gearing back up. Winter pitching practic begins this weekend and winter workouts later in the month. School ball tryouts begin the 1st full week of March, so she has 8 weeks to be ready.

The travel coach send out the preliminary schedule yesterday....6 events scheduled, with more to come.

Softball is beginning to wake up afetr a 2 month nap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish