Second Base Coverage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Situation was runner on third steals home on a PB (forth ball), batter takes first (walk) and with a live ball (due to PB) could potentially steal second.

Great question. However, the scorekeeper police must write you a ticket. I know it's petty if not obnoxious to point this out, but a player can't steal a base on a passed ball. If she merely took advantage of a passed ball (or wild pitch), then she advanced on the passed ball. No stolen base credited unless she was attempting to steal from the start. And in that case, it might not be a passed ball. It's one or the other (passed ball or stolen base), but not both. 👮‍♂️🚔 :)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Why on Earth do we need two fielders backing up home plate (which I assume means backing up the pitcher, who is covering home)?

The diagram also has two players converging on third, I assume this would be to have players in position to peel off in a rundown.

Even if executed properly, with a single throw, it’s good to have a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Because at the younger ages nothing is assured. The same reason why you two outfielders chase down a ball in the gap when you only need one to throw it in.

It's nothing like that. It's more like having the SS and 2B both go to the bag (with one backing up) on a steal of second when the CF is right there to back up a bad throw. It's just putting people out of position with virtually no possible benefit.

May 17, 2012
with virtually no possible benefit.

First thing, they aren't my diagrams. They are ASA best practices for relays, bunt coverages, and outfield throws if I recall.

Second, on a passed ball at the younger ages there are no certainties. There is no guarantee that the catcher will find the ball in sufficient time and damn sure no guarantee they will throw a strike to the pitcher covering the plate. These movements prevent it from becoming circus and keeps everyone moving. And by circus I am talking about other runners taking advantage.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles