run scores on hit batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
This happened in a game recently...

Opposing team has a runner at third. On a 2-1 count with one out, our P throws a change up which hits the batter. The balls rolls away and the runner from third comes home to score. The umpire quickly rules that the batter did not try to get out of the way of the pitch, so the pitch is a ball, and rules that the run scores. I argued that if the ump ruled that the girl could have gotten out of the way, but didn't, that she interfered with our C being able to make the play. I felt it should be 3-1 count and runner should return to 3rd. As far as I see it, any pitch that hits a batter is a dead ball.

Was I right?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
If the pitch hits the batter it is an immediate dead ball. If the umpire judges no attempt was made to avoid being hit, it is still a dead ball, the batter remains at bat and a ball is added to the count. No runners can advance or score on a dead ball.

Mar 13, 2010
I thought they got rid of that rule. The batter has that box and is entitled to it. If she's hit while in the box, she's therefore hit by pitched ball and gets awarded first. (this is ISF)

Jun 22, 2010
I should point out that I know absolutely nothing about ISF, but the ISF rules I'm finding online still has this:

EXCEPTION: If no attempt is made to avoid being hit, the umpire shall call a ball and not award a base.

Regardless, the ball is dead in any and every rule set I've ever heard of, softball or baseball, regardless of whether the batter gets first or not.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I thought they got rid of that rule. The batter has that box and is entitled to it. If she's hit while in the box, she's therefore hit by pitched ball and gets awarded first. (this is ISF)

This was a new NCAA rule last year. So far, it hasn't trickled down to any lower-level sanctioning bodies that I'm aware of. (Of course, there are a lot of sanctioning bodies out there.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs