Rules question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
We're on defense, runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out. Batter hits line drive up the middle, pitcher deflects it up in the air, the 2nd baseman is in position to catch the ball for the out - ball has not yet touched the ground. The runner coming from 1st runs in front of 2nd baseman and into the ball, keeping the 2nd baseman from making the play. BU calls the batter out and returns both runners to bases they started on. We caught a break, but once the pitcher touched the ball, isn't it a live ball and negates the runner touching it? The umpire explained that as the ball had not yet touched the ground and the 2nd baseman would have caught the ball had the runner not interfered, the batter was out. This was 14U NSA. Even though we benefitted, I just want to be sure I understand the rule. If any umpires out there can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Nothing in the rule says anything about ball in the air, on the ground or hitting another defensive player first. Here are the appropriate NSA rules dealing with interference. BU got the call wrong, the baserunner should have been called out, not the batter-baserunner. Runner returns to 3rd, unless she made it home before the interference happened.

Rule 1 Sec. 37 INTERFERENCE: Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member, who impedes or confuses a defensive player while attempting to execute a play. If judged so by the umpire, vocal interference may be called.

Rule 8 Sec. 6-c When a batter or baserunner is called out for interference, other baserunners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Rule 8 Sec. 7 Batter-baserunner is out: f When he/she interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or interferes (intentionally) with a thrown ball. If the interference, in the judgement of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play, the baserunner closest to home plate, shall be called out.

Rule 8 Sec. 8 The baserunner is out: k. When the baserunner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball. If this interference, in the judgement of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the baserunner is put out, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out.

Rule 9 Sec. 1 The ball is dead and not in play: h. When the offensive team causes interference.

Jun 21, 2010
The umpire is correct. Here is the exact rule relating to this situation from the NSA website (note the exception for the pitcher):

Sec 8 The baserunner is out:

l. When a baserunner is struck with a fair-batted ball in fair territory while off base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher.

Jun 22, 2008
Based on the description of the play, it would have been a toss up between the runner being hit by a fair batted ball and interference. Either way it is a dead ball and someone is out, runners return to base.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
He chose to call the batter out, I always thought it was the runner the ball hit. It worked out anyway as the runner returned to 3rd and we got the final out without her scoring. I'm not a coach, just a parent, but want to understand the rules. The opposing coaches argument was since the pitcher touched the ball and deflected it, the runner being hit by a fair batted ball didn't apply. The runner from 3rd was so far up the line, it's conceivable that our 2nd baseman may have doubled her off after catching the deflected ball had the runner not touched the ball.

Thanks for the explanation.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
The umpire is correct. Here is the exact rule relating to this situation from the NSA website (note the exception for the pitcher):

Sec 8 The baserunner is out:

l. When a baserunner is struck with a fair-batted ball in fair territory while off base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher.
I just went and looked up the rules - didn't realize the NSA rules were easier to read than some others. There is an exception in Rule 8, Section 9, The runner is not out - When the baserunner is hit by a fair-batted ball after it touches any fielder, including the pitcher.

I guess we caught a break as our pitcher did touch the ball. I wonder if the BU was really calling interference instead as the 2nd baseman would most likely caught the ball and it hadn't hit the ground yet. I couldn't hear the full explanation.

Jul 28, 2008
That exception applies when the ball touches the baserunner. Your original post said the baserunner prevented the 2nd baseman from making the play. These are two different situations.

It sounds like the umpire mostly got it correct. Someone was ruled out and runners were still at 1st and 3rd.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
From the first post:

"The runner coming from 1st runs in front of 2nd baseman and into the ball, keeping the 2nd baseman from making the play."

Interfering with the ball is entirely different than interfering with the fielder. If the runner had run into the fielder, you might have a case for interference. But that doesn't seem to be what happened here. It sounds like she was legally advancing and the ball hit her.

Once a batted ball has been touched by a defensive player, the runner can be called out if she interferes with a second fielder who has a play. ASA and high school rules state that such interference must be intentional. NSA rules do not clarify that point or make a distinction between intentionally or accidentally impeding the second fielder (so much for being easier to read).

If the deflected ball unavoidably hits her, the runner is protected from an interference call. The only way the runner can be called out for being hit by the ball on this play is if the umpire judges that she intentionally contacted the ball.

On deflected balls that have already been touched by a defensive player, the rules effectively "cut the runner some slack". The defense already had their chance at the ball and blew it. By changing the course of the batted ball, they have made it difficult, if not impossible, for the runner to predict it's path. Plus, the defense may very well have caused the ball to hit the runner when it would not have otherwise.

See ruling 8.3.e. The runner is not out and the ball remains live.

Yes, you did catch a break on this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 28, 2008
Brettman,

I thought for sure I read his OP correctly when I went over it. I guess it's time for that trip to the eye doc. *SIGH*

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
No worries. Our coaches knew we caught a break. The BU was just so certain in his explanation about it still being in the air that I wondered if there really was an exception. Thank you for all of your replies. With hard shots coming back up the middle, it's really easy for the pitcher to deflect the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414