Round the Horn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2013
Someone help me out here please. I can not find this rule anywhere but I saw it called in a College game and it happened to me this past week.

Batter at the plate with a full count. Next pitch is called ball 4 but the catcher assumed it woudl be called strike 3. Catcher throws the ball to 3rd to throw the ball around. Batter proceeds to first.

With no one on base and the catcher does this, the next batter should come to the plate with a 1 ball and 0 strike count. Where do I find this rule?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Someone help me out here please. I can not find this rule anywhere but I saw it called in a College game and it happened to me this past week.

Batter at the plate with a full count. Next pitch is called ball 4 but the catcher assumed it woudl be called strike 3. Catcher throws the ball to 3rd to throw the ball around. Batter proceeds to first.

With no one on base and the catcher does this, the next batter should come to the plate with a 1 ball and 0 strike count. Where do I find this rule?

Only an umpire who is a fool would even consider enforcing something like this. However, it is Rule 10.16 of the NCAA 2014-2015 Rules and I can see a college coach being anal about this. The purpose of the rule is to not allow a delay in the game. If anything, this was a benefit to the offense since it could have just as easily went into left field and allowed the runner to advance. It also delays the LBR from going into effect.

Jun 22, 2008
The equivalent ASA rule you are looking for is 6-7-B. However, the rule does not apply when the batter becomes a batter-runner. On ball 4, the batter is now a batter-runner and this rule would not apply.

I have seen this called exactly twice. Once in an ASA tournament and once in a college game.

Jun 1, 2013
Only an umpire who is a fool would even consider enforcing something like this. However, it is Rule 10.16 of the NCAA 2014-2015 Rules and I can see a college coach being anal about this. The purpose of the rule is to not allow a delay in the game. If anything, this was a benefit to the offense since it could have just as easily went into left field and allowed the runner to advance. It also delays the LBR from going into effect.

Saw this called at D1 level this week. It was a 1-2 count and catcher threw to 1st, ump called time explained briefly and awarded 2-2 count.

Mar 13, 2010
Saw this called at D1 level this week. It was a 1-2 count and catcher threw to 1st, ump called time explained briefly and awarded 2-2 count.
Being a DI fall game, I'll assume that the catcher was a freshman and probably didn't know the rule.

Included in that 'brief explanation' would have to be (by rule) a warning to the catcher that doing it again would result in an ejection.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Being a DI fall game, I'll assume that the catcher was a freshman and probably didn't know the rule.

Included in that 'brief explanation' would have to be (by rule) a warning to the catcher that doing it again would result in an ejection.

You could just as easily assume, that since it was a fall game, it was due to a blue "umpiring up" for the first time who gave them the wrong count on the prior pitch! And because they lost track of the count it must have been a freshman? Hmmm, and it must just be the rookies in MLB who lose track of outs (despite the fact that there are probably at least 4-10 digital scoreboards in the stadium AND the fact that they are paid to know such trivial information? S*** can happen to the best and many don't even know the even more basic rules!

Mar 2, 2013
However, it is Rule 10.16 of the NCAA 2014-2015 Rules and I can see a college coach being anal about this. The purpose of the rule is to not allow a delay in the game.

You bet a coach would be anal about having this called in this situation, since there is NO penalty for throwing down when the batter becomes a batter-runner. :rolleyes:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
"And what do you do when the opposing coach comes out and protests you allowing [this]?"

You bet a coach would be anal about having this called in this situation, since there is NO penalty for throwing down when the batter becomes a batter-runner. :rolleyes:

You're right, AFA the OP. What about if it were only ball 3? Are you suggesting the umpire be a clone and enforce a rule that was meant to be a game control rule?

This rule application should be purely up to the umpire's discretion. Again, IMO, only a fool of an umpire would move to enforce this rule unnecessarily and equally so for the organization to demand it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs