Robert Morris - quitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Yep, he has #1 pitch the conference games and #2 pitch the non-conf. He got several non-conf opponents to reduce DHs to single games, but YSU wouldn't agree to make the trip for 1 game.

- 4/01: #2 pitched all 7 innings of game that was originally scheduled as DH. "Partly cloudy, mid 50s, nice"
- 4/10: #2 pitched all 6 innings of game that was originally scheduled as DH. "Mostly cloudy, low 50s"
- 4/15: #2 pitched all 11 innings of YSU DH where 2nd game was forfeited.
- 4/22: #2 pitched all 4 innings of run-rule loss (visitors) that was originally scheduled as DH.

Reportedly, the 3rd pitcher left the team ("personal reasons") and a walk-on also chose not to stay on team. He stuck with his plan even though #1 should have been available to throw a couple innings on 4/15 - 3 days after previous games and 3 days before next games. I'd bet she threw bullpens in that stretch.

So the coach's philosophy changes depending on the opponent. Non-conference games - it's all about player safety. Conference games - ride the number 1 and just win baby. Really disgraceful. If he had an OUNCE of decency he would limit his number one to one game a day and not ask her to pitch both games of a double header, and then to have her pitch both games of a double header ON CONSECUTIVE DAYS ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION is inexcusable.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
So the coach's philosophy changes depending on the opponent. Non-conference games - it's all about player safety. Conference games - ride the number 1 and just win baby. Really disgraceful. If he had an OUNCE of decency he would limit his number one to one game a day and not ask her to pitch both games of a double header, and then to have her pitch both games of a double header ON CONSECUTIVE DAYS ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION is inexcusable.

I agree fully, if that's really the coach's M.O.

Sep 18, 2011
RMU's conference games:

3/29 v. Mount St. Mary's: Number 1 pitches both games of DH, 14 innings
3/30 v. Sacred Heart: Number 1 pitches both games of DH, 12 innings (26 innings in two days)
4/12 v. Bryant: number 1 pitches both games of DH, 14 innings
4/18 v. LIU: number 1 pitches both games of DH, 14 innings
4/19 v. Wagner: number 1 pitches first 9 innings of DH (23 innings in two days), number 2 pitches final 3 innings of a blowout

Yep, coach is all about player safety. Actually, he's all about conference wins.

Update - Robert Morris had conference games on April 25 and 26. Double header both days. And yes, his number one pitcher pitched every inning of all four games. 26 innings in two days. Again.

edit - just saw the pitch counts for April 25 and 26. 87 + 79 + 97 + 88 = 351 pitches in two days. In my opinion that's excessive. YMMV. But at least it's better than March 29 and 30 when the number one pitched 412 pitches those days. And better than April 18 and 19 when she pitched 393 pitches.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Final update - Nicole Sleith started and lost the first game of the conference tournament and then the next day she came back and pitched a 7 inning perfect game in an elimination game, but then she had to pitch a third game and only managed to last an inning and a third. Poor girl's arm was probably ready to fall off. Really admire her courage.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
edit - just saw the pitch counts for April 25 and 26. 87 + 79 + 97 + 88 = 351 pitches in two days. In my opinion that's excessive. YMMV. But at least it's better than March 29 and 30 when the number one pitched 412 pitches those days. And better than April 18 and 19 when she pitched 393 pitches.

Chelsea Wilkinson of Georgia threw 379 pitches on FRI/SAT. Then came back Sunday and pitched another 58 for a total of 437 pitches thrown (29.2 innings) in 3 days. In her final outing, she allowed only 1 hit in 5 innings. For the season, Wilkinson has thrown 236 innings. Sleith threw 225.

I don't know much about pitching and what's excessive. Good topic. Maybe both are being over-worked, and others like them. But I don't think Sleith stands among these kinds of workhorses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00