Reaching out to DFP family for help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I have been with DFP for a long time. I have tried to stay involved when work permitted. I feel like I have learned many lessons as both a parent and a coach. I need help as a parent once again. It is about my DD's HS team. So here I go.

My DD is a sophomore P. She is the starter and the captain of her team. I think she is having a terrific season so far. She has started 6 of 8 games in the circle. Allowed a total of 9 runs with 62K's and 2 BB's. So far, so good. Her record is 3-3. In her 3 losses, the team has scored a total of "0" runs. The last game she won, was 11 innings and she had to throw a shut out and lead off the 11th with a triple to score the winning run. Been shut out 4 of last 6 games. Offensively the team is very challenged. While this is frustrating, it is not why I am here.

The coaching staff is not really holding up their end of the bargain. We are the biggest school in the county, and the only one who can't field a JV team. Practices are basically run by the players. Coach leaves early half of the days. Assistant Coach and Head Coach hardly speak. Defensive alignments are set by my DD. Not that she is a great mind, but feels someone needs to do it. She honestly calls her own pitches. She signals the catcher before the pitch. Haven't seen a bunt laid down in 8 games. I know this sounds like a whining parent, but I really am trying hard to just be supportive.

Recent games have had other parents yelling through the fence and trying to offer their two cents. I simply tell everyone to stay positive. Let's keep the negativity away. While my DD is probably going to play in college, most of these girls won't.

My DD is heart broken. She puts so much effort into the team. She practices every day with the team. We throw at home 3 nights a week to ensure quality pitching practices. She invites girls over on weekends to hit in the cage. Honestly, she would coach the bases if they would let her. When I watch the effort and energy she is putting in, it almost puts tears in my eyes. She deserves better. Her team deserves better. The girls want to play well. They are not getting beat by much. They just have zero help.

So what good would come from a well written letter to the AD of the school? What could I even say? I was thinking of just asking about the direction of the program and if there is a plan to improve the talent. It should be said that there are several TB players on the team. It is not as talent starved as they are playing. How fair to the girls that are out there every day working hard is it? Does the school owe these girls anything? The AD must know what is going on. I have heard there have been several parent complaints this season. I have tried to stay out of it, but am starting to see the angry parent side of the story. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Kudos to your DD. She is a true leader. I can only help from this perspective - DD was not going to play this year (her senior season) because of all the drama last year (to include blatant favoritism by coaches toward certain players and overt antipathy towards others).

When she told her future college coach that she intended to focus on grades and not play this year, the college coach simply asked "then how are you going to get live reps in preparation to come her next year?" HS season starts today and DD is back as #1 pitcher trying to win another CIF title.

I know it sounds harsh but that is really what HS is - reps. I know it's tough not to care but your DD can only control what is within her sphere of control.

Feb 16, 2010
Sounds like a bad situation.

You have parents yelling through the fences and complaining to the AD. It sounds like the coaches have just given up and decided it's not worth it to deal with the troubles. I doubt any thing you could do or say will make a difference this season. It will only lump you in with the other drama causing parents. Soldier on this year and hope for a new coach for next year.

Dec 7, 2011
Develop the mindset "HS is just warm-up for the more meaningful TB season". This is reality for to-be college players. This IS difficult though no doubt.

Transferring schools an option? (I know socially the kids might not want to) - but it's surprising how much I see of that for sports betterment.

I would bet, with good confidence, that talking to the AD will just make matters worse for your family.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would do nothing and explain the tremendous opportunity that has befallen her. She is growing in a big way. Help her through it, don't try to fix it.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If you communicate with AD, it should be face to face. However, odds are better to find a brick wall and tell your story to it.

I'd say just try to make the best of a bad situation.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I'm reminded of the prayer they use in AA: grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, the strength to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles