Pulling the trigger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 10, 2009
My daughter is entering her last year of 12U travel ball. She has a very good swing and hits with alot of power. The problem she is having is pulling the trigger. It is like she sees it is going to be a strike as the ball gets on top of the plate. I'm not sure if she is scared of swinging at a bad pitchor what.
Is there any drills we can do to help her be more "agressive" at the plate? Her game at the plate really has her upset and I am looking for any ideas or help.......

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
At 12U if it's below the elbows and above the ground and it's the first pitch - read it and rip it.

On first pitch especially at this age it's GO! 12U pitchers like to get ahead and except for the better ones they don't waste that first pitch often. I like to have girls go at it as long as it's below the elbows.

Have her study the pitcher when she's not up and pick up a pattern if it's there. For example if the pitcher is starting down and out tell her to look down and out on the first pitch and always take a hard cut unless it's above the elbows. If she holds up and it was a good pitch reinforce next at bat the same thing...that she needs to focus on one thing...seeing and hitting the first pitch hard. If she swings at a high one don't jump all over her. Just remind her that it's a go unless it's above her elbows. Going after the first pitch at 12U is a good way to get players who won't pull the trigger started IMO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414