Probably a silly question but....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Here's the situation. DD's 12u team was playing in an ASA Qualifier this past weekend. Her first AB she took it over the RC fence. Ran around the bases fairly quickly and went to home where her team was waiting to congratulate her. Her next at bat, the coach calls the pitch. The pitcher looks at her coach and shakes her head no. The coach glares at her and nods yes once quite emphatically. The first pitch nails DD in the shoulder. Needless to say, I believe it was intentional. PLEASE, I AM NOT TRYING TO TURN THIS INTO A MORALS DEBATE!!!! All I would like to know is if there are written rules against this in ASA since I have no access to a rule book at this time and what are the penalties. I told DD next time she thinks this is going to happen, to call time and talk to the PU about her suspicions.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is kind of a moral debate since the rules do not cover it. Pitcher thrown out of the game for unsportsmanlike conduct, judgment call.

Jun 22, 2008
No specific rules regarding it, other than unsportsman like conduct. If the umpire judges it was intentional, then pitcher should be gone. If the umpire also feels it was the coach that called it, dump the coach also.

Not sure what other areas are told, but here we have had a few instances of umpire bean balls. We have been instructed if this happens, pitcher, catcher and head coach are all gone.

Mar 13, 2010
NCAA is one code that specifically has a rule that addresses a pitcher intentionally attempting to hit a batter.
Penalty calls for EJ of pitcher and catcher and (in some instances) also the HC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00