Pennsbury Invitational Softball Tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
I've mentioned this before but my DD took the ACT and the SAT last Spring as an 8th grader. She's homeschooled and was required to take a national, standardized test in 8th grade, so we decided "what the heck" and had her take both to see where she was (she was pretty bored with the Iowa test). She got a 1930 (690 verbal, 620 math and 620 writing) on the SAT and a 28 composite on the ACT. Looks like those scores are good enough for the Pennsbury camp. I have to imagine that those numbers will open more doors for her than her batting average. It is interesting to learn that there are such serious tuition discounts at some of the better known schools.

She's a 2017 grad (9th grader). Her travel ball coach thinks it is WAY too early to reach out to Ivy League schools, so maybe we should put Pennsbury off for at least one more year??

Mar 26, 2013
I recommend taking both the PSAT and pre-ACT tests as a freshman and sophomore. It will give you an idea of how prepared they are for the SAT/ACT and whether they need additional prep work. Also, with recruiting happening at younger ages, it gives you something to show prospective colleges.

The PSAT is taken as a junior to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Program.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She's a 2017 grad (9th grader). Her travel ball coach thinks it is WAY too early to reach out to Ivy League schools, so maybe we should put Pennsbury off for at least one more year??

I would recommend you contact the Pennsbury tournament director to ask about going as a freshman. I would guess that Ivy and Patriot league schools start recruiting later than most of the big D1s, since grades are more important than softball skills! Your DD is a 9th grader now, so this summer she will be a rising sophomore!

Andrew Phillips
NFCA Pennsbury Recruiting Camp Coordinator
2641 Grinstead Drive
Louisville, KY 40206
Ph. 502-409-4600
Fax 502-409-4622

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Indiana: DD had taken the PSAT as a sophomore but it was an unofficial test. Junior year is when the PSAT counts for NAtional Merit scholar ranking. PSAT for soph's isn't required but if they do take one and score over 175 ( = 1750 on the SAT) acceptance is that much easier.

As stated I had to send the transcript & thought per the NFCA website a letter of recommendation from DD's advisor was going to be required, but one wasn't requested.

May 23, 2010
Our school district now pays for all 9-11 graders to take the Wednesday administration of the PSAT. They used to encourage all 10th and 11th graders to take the PSAT Saturday administration - I think the cost was $13. Probably 90%+ of kids took it when it was on Saturday. For whomever was asking about taking it this year, the time has passed. The PSAT is only given in October.

My eldest attended the Pennsbury Academic Camp when she was a junior. My current 10th grader might attend this year. She had the PSAT score to attend last year, but we thought it was too early for her (not DI material, neither was my eldest).

I have heard others say that the camp required a transcript be sent, but we just entered her GPA and test scores and she was accepted. Folks need to keep in mind that the Ivies and other elite schools likely won't be interested in the kids meeting the minimum score requirements for the camp. You need a lot more than a 1750 or 26 to attend those schools unless you are a stud player plus you have some other great hook. The higher the score the better, but you should aim for 2100+ or 32+.

Also, while most kids take the SAT and/or ACT more than once, remember that some schools require that you send all scores. Be ready for the test the first time and best to limit to three tries per test. Also keep in mind that some of the better schools "recommend' two SAT Subject tests.

My eldest had some interest from some top (academic) DIII LACs after the camp, but she wasn't interested in those schools. She now plays club ball at her school (DI school, does not have softball).

Sep 17, 2009
Finances for college are upside down right now. States are broke so many public schools can offer you no financial help. Private (often high-academic) institutions often have huge endowments and provide great amounts of help. We live in the midwest, the most expensive schools for us would have been out-of-state Big Ten schools. When I went to school, they were the cheapest.

May 23, 2010
A lot of scholarships have been reduced in recent years, but there are still some good academic scholarships out there. College Confidential has comprehensive lists of automatic and competitive full tuition and full ride scholarships, but two good ones are full tuition for four years to University of Alabama and Temple for SAT of 1400+ (M+V) or ACT 32+. There are GPA requirements as well. My kid refused to consider those schools. She did receive merit at every school where she was accepted - merit varied from $4K/yr at the state flagship to $20K/year at the private she now attends.

Nov 14, 2008
I highly recommend going to this. I took my DD as a sophomore just to give her a look. This way she wouldnt be overwhelmed when it really meant something (being an overprotective dad). There are a ton of coaches there for the camp and the tourney. You can guest play for some really good teams(recommended). They get on the top fields and attract the top coaches. But I will say just going to the camps you will get contacted and you will have options. My dd's coach saw her here, came back following weekend for ASA A states, then went to another tournament the following weekend. My dd went on her recruiting trip during the week. She signed her NLI in the early signing period. So like i said previously HIGHLY recommend

Nov 14, 2008
Summer after her Sophomore year. was just reading my post. When she actually got recruited was the summer after her junior year. She got alot of interest though her sophomore year at the camp.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles