Olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ESPN

I think this is a sucker bet if ISF goes this route. IBAF has zero commitment from MLB to allow players to partake in the Olympics and this has been the deal-breaker since the introduced to IOC.

Those sitting on the IOC admittedly believed the vote on softball was the same as a vote on baseball. By joining forces they are just playing into the existing voluntary ignorance that I don't believe anyone in the IOC is eager to correct.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Untill Steve Huff teaches the Europeans how to play these games and be competitive, this is an uphill battle. Look at the other sports we are up against. Are you kidding me? USA and Japan were just to dominant, so rather then learning the game, they just voted it out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Untill Steve Huff teaches the Europeans how to play these games and be competitive, this is an uphill battle. Look at the other sports we are up against. Are you kidding me? USA and Japan were just to dominant, so rather then learning the game, they just voted it out.

Actually, softball is growing every day everywhere. Australia needs to get their game back to where is was heading 15 years ago and Asia is a no brainer and, IMO, offers a higher level of dedication to the game than here in the US.

Like it or not, a lot of this comes down to money, ego, politics, ego and product sellability. And did I mention ego, and I'm not talking about the athletes.

One of the primary issues of allowing professionals into the Olympics was exposure and the ability for the IOC to sell it to the sponsors and TV audience (basketball and hockey come to mind). This is why baseball is such an issue. The owners will not stop the season for a week or so, nor take the chance of their stars getting hurt.

Any coaching is helpful and the ISF and USA has been trying to help the rest of the world developed at a faster pace. Hopefully, it will be sooner than later when they reach a competitive level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00