NPF suspends operations. New pro team formed in Florida.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
What sort of TV contract awaits a pro league that struggled to get a 1000 people to pay and show up for the games?

AMA Supercross and Motocross regularly sells out stadiums of 50,000 plus, the outdoor MX races often have 100,000+ fans attend. The sport has been televised since the 1980's but the only way to watch these highly attended events live is through Peacock streaming that you pay monthly for.

A pro softball league may have to rely on the same thing until it can prove it is a viable product.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What sort of TV contract awaits a pro league that struggled to get a 1000 people to pay and show up for the games?

AMA Supercross and Motocross regularly sells out stadiums of 50,000 plus, the outdoor MX races often have 100,000+ fans attend. The sport has been televised since the 1980's but the only way to watch these highly attended events live is through Peacock streaming that you pay monthly for.

A pro softball league may have to rely on the same thing until it can prove it is a viable product.

Is the problem that they can't get people to show up or that the league was so poorly run that nobody knew the league even existed? Because I'd guess that no more than 5% of people in Chicago who identify as sports fans had ever even heard of the NPF. A few more might have had vague memories of hearing about the Bandits/Jennie Finch 15 years ago.

I won't believe that was pro softball league can't work until one that isn't run by idiots fails.

May 23, 2015
Baseball was free all over the country at its inception. Barnstoming from town to town drew large crowds because nothing else was really going on

Colleges share a kinship with fans because they themselves or parents went to the school, wanted to go there, or its a hometown school

Softballs biggest problem is its a tiny blip on the sports scene. When spending discretionary money its hard to send it softballs way

Nov 8, 2020
The elephant in the room is the simple fact that aside from tennis no women's pro sports have really been a success, especially no women's team sports.
True, 50.8% of the population of this country are women but what percentage of women watch sports?
Then, what percentage of the women who do watch sports will watch softball instead of football, baseball, hockey, basketball?

Men don't generally watch women's sports, the few exceptions being the dads that have a daughter playing the sport but quite often when the daughter stops playing the dads attention goes to other things.

The wnba has been a failure for 25 years and is only still around because the nba annually dumps millions of dollars in to it. Now that the nba is dying in North America, how long will they continue to throw money down the wnba drain?

Pro sports are nothing more than entertainment and the question has to be, would pro women's softball be entertaining enough to generate 100 million dollars a year?

Nov 8, 2020
The elephant in the room is the simple fact that aside from tennis no women's pro sports have really been a success, especially no women's team sports.
True, 50.8% of the population of this country are women but what percentage of women watch sports?
Then, what percentage of the women who do watch sports will watch softball instead of football, baseball, hockey, basketball?

Men don't generally watch women's sports, the few exceptions being the dads that have a daughter playing the sport but quite often when the daughter stops playing the dads attention goes to other things.

The wnba has been a failure for 25 years and is only still around because the nba annually dumps millions of dollars in to it. Now that the nba is dying in North America, how long will they continue to throw money down the wnba drain?

Pro sports are nothing more than entertainment and the question has to be, would pro women's softball be entertaining enough to generate 100 million dollars a year?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad