NPF suspends operations. New pro team formed in Florida.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I have never watched the wcws, or really any college softball, on TV because MY school does not field a softball program, I refuse to support other schools and I don't watch sports on TV without having a rooting interest.
I also haven't watched as much as 20 seconds of any NFL game since 1994 and I haven't watched as much as 5 seconds of basketball since Magic got AIDS.

I realize that some of that will have to change in a couple years when my kid gets goes to college unless she decides to quit softball and go to my school.

Then, quite frankly, you're not the target audience for televised sports.

I don't drink beer. It doesn't matter what beer companies to do advertise their product. It's not going to work on me. That doesn't mean they shouldn't still figure out how to reach their actual target audience.

Nov 8, 2020
Straight white male in their 40's is exactly the target audience for televised sports.

But I'm also cynical, opinionated and contrarion and won't watch garbage just because someone has packaged it as intriguing or a sport.

If my university ever starts a softball program or once my kid reaches college softball I will start to pay attention to it. Until then I will just have to watch MLB, College Football, Minor League Baseball, summer league baseball, college baseball, MX, SX, Surfing and women's beach volleyball

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Straight white male in their 40's is exactly the target audience for televised sports.

But I'm also cynical, opinionated and contrarion and won't watch garbage just because someone has packaged it as intriguing or a sport.

If my university ever starts a softball program or once my kid reaches college softball I will start to pay attention to it. Until then I will just have to watch MLB, College Football, Minor League Baseball, summer league baseball, college baseball, MX, SX, Surfing and women's beach volleyball

I have to say, you have made it a lot longer than your previously (now banned) identity on here. Congrats.

Dec 6, 2019
Three things need to happen to make pro softball viable:

1. It has to be played on softball fields (not baseball fields)
2. It has to be on TV - there is no excuse for this, especially with college softball TV ratings being what they are. I can watch corn hole, darts, spike ball, cpu vs cpu football games, ultimate frisbee, etc. on my TV - no reason softball cannot also be on it.
3. Cheri Kempf has to NOT be involved.

Nov 8, 2020
Three things need to happen to make pro softball viable:

1. It has to be played on softball fields (not baseball fields)
2. It has to be on TV - there is no excuse for this, especially with college softball TV ratings being what they are. I can watch corn hole, darts, spike ball, cpu vs cpu football games, ultimate frisbee, etc. on my TV - no reason softball cannot also be on it.
3. Cheri Kempf has to NOT be involved.
When you watch corn hole, spike ball, frisbee, darts, lumberjacks, video gaming...... on TV they are not live. They're taped, edited and packaged in to 30 min or 1 hour episodes that can then be used as filler on sports channels looking to fill up 24 hour days. Pro fastpitch may have to do the same to get on TV until it can prove people will watch it.

How many years did MLB take to be a viable league with players earning large contracts? 50 years? 70 years? Why would anyone expect softball to be able to do what Pro baseball did over night?

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I have mentioned this before in regards to professional women’s sports.
I was in Manchester UK a few years ago. I went to a Man U women’s game and a Man U men’s game.
Attendance at the women’s game was under 1000
Attendance at the men’s game was 70,000

Soccer is pretty popular in Europe BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2019
When you watch corn hole, spike ball, frisbee, darts, lumberjacks, video gaming...... on TV they are not live. They're taped, edited and packaged in to 30 min or 1 hour episodes that can then be used as filler on sports channels looking to fill up 24 hour days. Pro fastpitch may have to do the same to get on TV until it can prove people will watch it.

How many years did MLB take to be a viable league with players earning large contracts? 50 years? 70 years? Why would anyone expect softball to be able to do what Pro baseball did over night?

I don't believe college softball is tape delayed (in most cases). I have almost zero interest in watching a tape-delayed/packaged product (like most Olympic coverage).

Nov 8, 2020
College softball has the support of the college sport fans. Many of the people who show up or tune in are fans of the school's athletic programs. That's a built in fan base that pro softball doesn't have. A professional softball league will need to lay the ground work and earn the support the way the other sports leagues have.
There are not generations of men and women who grew up playing fastpitch or have memories of going to games with their parents and grand parents decades ago.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I think the WCWS is such a well produced and played tournament that it draws those big numbers. It also is played at a good time of year for most softball fans to watch it.
For four or five years straight we planned our vacation at the Outer Banks around the WCWS! So yeah, I’m a fan, if softball is on, I’m watching it. It’s the only thing I enjoy more than the postseason in MLB. Other than that, TV sucks and I’m usually on here!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414