newly joined.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No doubt, she's pretty upset when she gets put at another position. Her teams like her at 3rd or 1st bc she's tall and has a crazy strong arm; she's also a lefty so had a few coaches that didn't feel it was her best spot; until she out threw the other catchers. The primary reason for her learning to pitch is so that she can understand the fundamentals and help the pitcher out there if they're struggling. She's been working at throwing to 2nd from the plate on 12U fields since last year.

Something for her to keep in mind...Being on the field in the game, even if it's not at her favorite position, is better than being on the bench. Also, getting a perspective of the game from another position helps expand her game knowledge. Especially for younger players (12U and younger), I'm of the opinion that ALL players should get experience playing multiple positions. It's part of developing as a ballplayer.

This is a topic that has been discussed at length on DFP...Lefty catchers are not a disadvantage. There are multiple examples of lefty catchers who have played at the very top of this sport. Anyone discounting your DD as a catcher because she's a lefty is uninformed.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Best athlete on the Team wanted to C. They pushed her into P 2 years I know of and she was miserable.

I was just being sarcastic, good for her knowing what she likes to do.

Jul 22, 2020
Best athlete on the Team wanted to C. They pushed her into P 2 years I know of and she was miserable.

I was just being sarcastic, good for her knowing what she likes to do.
Well she has always been the best athlete, which is why they wanted her to learn to pitch, arm is crazy strong.
And her first year she wanted to learn, and I thought it couldn't be that hard and tried to teach her, she gave up after 2 weeks and only last fall thought about it 😉.

Something for her to keep in mind...Being on the field in the game, even if it's not at her favorite position, is better than being on the bench. Also, getting a perspective of the game from another position helps expand her game knowledge. Especially for younger players (12U and younger), I'm of the opinion that ALL players should get experience playing multiple positions. It's part of developing as a ballplayer.

This is a topic that has been discussed at length on DFP...Lefty catchers are not a disadvantage. There are multiple examples of lefty catchers who have played at the very top of this sport. Anyone discounting your DD as a catcher because she's a lefty is uninformed.

I agree, but she has always been the best catcher on her team and it drives her nuts to see someone doing it wrong, she might have a strong opinion or 2. I would actually have liked to see her play outfield more, but it was always c 1st or 3rd bc she is so hard to overthrow.

Hey can you tell that to the Mitt makes bc that stupid catchers mitt was equally hard to find and expensive for what it is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1