New from SoCal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2021
Hello everyone from the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. My name is Nate and I have an 11-year-old daughter soon to be 12 who is starting to really get into softball and enjoying playing on a start up travel ball team where I help coach. I’m an old worn out retired toothless circus dog who once had the Mets waste a draft pick on as a pitcher out of high school back in ‘94. Reconstructive shoulder surgery put a quick end that though.

Currently I am really enjoying a second life in the sport as a coach for my daughter and son! It’s great watching them fall in love with the sport I cherish.

This seems like a great place to learn from what I see as a great many very knowledgeable people. It has been fun learning all the differences between softball and baseball. I was shocked at how many there are!

Hope to learn and contribute when I can. And have a group to share with in our successes and our failures. Baseball and softball truly are the greatest sports for so many reasons. Play ball!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Welcome to DFP. Lots of shared knowledge happening here. Enjoy the ride! :)

I'm not far away (Pasadena area). My DD is 16yo, and has been playing TB since she was 10. As much as I enjoyed coaching, at the end of 12U, it became clear that continuing to be one of her team coaches was a bad idea for our relationship. As much as we both tried to treat each other like any other player/coach, it just wasn't working. I'm still involved with her teams (TB and HS), but stay on the outside of the fence handling video and scoring.

Props to you for understanding that baseball and softball are different games, and need different approaches. We've all seen a ton of ex-baseball players who struggle with that idea. That said, there are quite a lot of things that are the same - like hitting. Good swing mechanics are the same in both games.

Jun 3, 2021
Thanks Eric. Baseball and softball are definitely siblings but are certainly not twins. I do know the day is coming when my daughter is going to put me on the bench in the stands and kick me off the field. For now she loves having me out there the majority of the time. But I certainly know my days are numbered. Going to enjoy it while I can.👍

Thanks for the warm welcome Seth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi