Need some swing advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't have a video.
a swing was just brought to my attention where the batter starts with her rear elbow in tight and she keeps it tight right through contact, after which she does some extension. She doesn't usually load much, either. it's mostly a forward swing without the negative motion at the start. This weekend she had some strong hits to the opposite field.

I tried to get her to bring her hands back in a slow load, raising her elbow slightly and then bringing it in close and keeping it there as she turns and hit the ball- but she doesn't get it.

I'm looking for recommendations for drills that could help address this. I guess it would be load-oriented.
thanks!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What age.Sounds like she is swinging from the Torque drill set up or deltoid drill.Is that what the swing looks like?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
She's 12 and as I think about it, I don't know why she doesn't have bat drag-she is starting with her elbows level, making an inverted 'V", bat almost resting on her shoulder. she does a slight load but keeps her elbows low and tight to her ribs. I don't think her elbows get out in front, she turns her body into the pitch and keeps her elbows in close.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not seeing her swing,could the bat be against the shoulder/deltoid? Torque drill would have the bat against the shoulder with the front elbow up,horizontal to the ground.All the batter has to do is drop front foot to heel plant.Then unload from a loaded postion.The bat is already flat with palm up palm down.The bat just flys off the shoulder to extension.DD batted this way when she was 11yrs.old,because it was a quick fix to her not hitting.Does this sound like her swing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi