Making an obstruction call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Speaking ASA
While that can certainly be a consideration, that shouldn't be the reason for the award. The runner could have been moving toward home, but would have been dead out without the OBS. Being obstructed is not a free pass to the next base. You should award the base the runner would have attained safely had the OBS not occurred. Returning the runner to 3B should not be discounted if it is obvious to the umpire there wasn't even a remote chance the runner would have scored absent the OBS.

Thank you for the different perspective. Up until the runner had to slow down, it was 50/50 on whether she would be out or safe. At 10u in rec, a decent (not perfect) toss from a catcher to the pitcher at home and the correct tag application (low and in front of the base, not high and over) are not the norm. I can't count how many times I've seen a girl receive a throw on a tag play well ahead of the runner, turn and reach out to tag the runner as if the runner is obligated to come in standing up, only to have the runner slide safely into the base. The toss came in a bit high (head height) and the girl was sliding, which would have required the pitcher to bring the tag down. Absent the obstruction, the runner had a fair chance of beating the tag. I will, however, remember to keep your words in mind when I encounter a similar situation in the future.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
YES ! your call was correct 100%. but what bothers me about this whole obstrution call !! WHY is the pitcher 3 FT DOWN, THE BASE LINE BY HOME PLATE, AND ,ON THE BASELINE ?????

That's what I was thinking in my head, and I struggled mightily to not verbalize it to the coach. In all honesty, it appeared as if that was something that they practiced. She made a beeline for that spot. At that level, most pitchers run straight for home and either stand on it or are in close proximity. Where she ran to and how she positioned herself, with her back to the runner, made this play very unique to me and alerted me that I may have a problem. The coach had some other questionable ideas/rule interpretations during the game which indicated to me that this might be routine for them. The league they come from is an ASA league, but they don't have a firm grasp on the differences in rules between Major League Baseball and ASA softball.

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
I do ASA only at this point, but I'm always interested in how other rulesets operate. If I am understanding this correctly, in those rulesets that allow a fielder to obstruct while in the act of catching a thrown ball, they can only BEGIN obstructing when the ball is closer to them than the runner is? They cannot obstruct at the moment the ball is thrown, they can only obstruct when the ball is closer than the runner.

Speaking ASA and NFHS..you are not understanding correctly...where a thrown ball is concerned the fielder who is going to catch the thrown ball may obstruct the runner only once she has possession of the ball. Not before.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Speaking ASA and NFHS..you are not understanding correctly...where a thrown ball is concerned the fielder who is going to catch the thrown ball may obstruct the runner only once she has possession of the ball. Not before.

Hello, Umpireernie, thanks for your input. I do understand that. What I was referring to was the other rulesets, specifically NCAA, that has the "about to receive" wording in their rulebook.

Dec 16, 2011
Jesus....Quit shouting.....and you are also a spammer....

Trust the umpire...

Many of us have been doing this job a long time. Some not so long.....you know why.....because of whiney coaches that destroy young umpires confidence.

10U coaches are the bane to the umpiring community......you murder young umpires......lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45