Just need a moment to vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...It is the Umpires job to keep this from not happening....

This would be incorrect. The umpire should be concerned with the game on the field and those participants. The "fans" and spectators do not exist. If a fan or spectator chooses to make his or her presence known by threating behavior, loud profanity, addressing players personally, or coming onto the field, it would be the job of the tournament director or some other administrative personnel to deal with the idiot....er, fan.

To MandM....once this person started on your DD personally, you should have alerted the tournament director.

NeverdoneLearning

Will never know it all
Jun 21, 2012
Olympia, WA
As a coach I have had the need to alert tournament directors about behavior of fans and even other coaches previously. It happens especially when they also have daughters on the field - things get emotionally charged, umpires are not always the answer to get the problem resolved although some enjoy the confrontation and would gladly toss coaches and parents.

What I suggest as a coach is either in between innings or at some lineup change ask the umpire if it would be okay to have the tournament director come over and deal with the fan - typically the umpire will gladly accept.

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
For what it is worth, our league has a specific rule that people are not stand behind the back stop. Our fields have a fenced off area that is probably about 20 or so feet behind the backstop so people can stand there, but they are generally far enough away to not be a distraction. We do not allow anyone to include coaches to stand directly behind the backstop.

Of course going to a tournament or other fields they may have different rules.

I am sorry your DD had a hard time, but do not let her get discouraged. Good things will happen. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523