Is this interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've seen the second out called on plays just like this. In one instance, the throw hit the runner in the helmet and laid her out. Incredibly, I've also seen no interference called on a turn at 2B when there was an actual stand-up collision.

I've never seen anyone called for interference who slid.

Jul 27, 2021
Because old school baseball had players intentionally sliding into your legs to 'take you out to break up the double play'
That has long since been removed from the game.
Manny Machado says "Hold my beer"

BTW, Machado is a POS.

Jul 22, 2015

I think I asked this before but I remember there wasn't a clear answer. Some said it is interference by a retired runner, Batter Runner is also out, but some say the runner does not have to get out of the way, the fielder has to adjust her throw, therefore it is a live ball. I asked our rules interpreter about this play, he says where is the runner to go, she can't disappear, but I feel that it is interference, what say you?

Put this one in a video "case book" to study. Textbook interference by a retired runner.
The runner gives up 3 steps before the base and goes straight towards the bag standing up. So to whoever said "Where does the runner go" - she either continues to bag in an attempt to be safe (i.e. slides) OR she can easily peel away towards the infield. The thing she can't do - she did.
This is the key for me. Once she is retired she is required to not interfere with a subsequent play. I think the argument that she "has to be somewhere" really only applies to a bang-bang play where the runner is attempting to reach base safely. I'm curious how you @marriard would have called it if the runner was out by 1/2 step at 2B and interfered with a throw because she went in standing like that.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@mmeece I can't answer for marriard, and might be adding more info into the situation (because that is something I NEVER do). But, if a runner is going into 2b on a bang bang play standing up, I have interference by a runner (rather than a retired runner) and malicious contact. So she is out on the interference, ejected and in this case it would the the BR who is the second out. Or, I could have obstruction, depending on timing and location of the fielder.

The reason I will almost automatically have malicious contact is because, unlike at home where the runner is not in jeopardy for continuing past the plate, the runner needs to stay in contact with the bag to avoid being retired. This means that she will either slow down or slide.

Jul 22, 2015
@mmeece I can't answer for marriard, and might be adding more info into the situation (because that is something I NEVER do). But, if a runner is going into 2b on a bang bang play standing up, I have interference by a runner (rather than a retired runner) and malicious contact. So she is out on the interference, ejected and in this case it would the the BR who is the second out. Or, I could have obstruction, depending on timing and location of the fielder.

The reason I will almost automatically have malicious contact is because, unlike at home where the runner is not in jeopardy for continuing past the plate, the runner needs to stay in contact with the bag to avoid being retired. This means that she will either slow down or slide.
I can see that scenario playing out the way you described. I was thinking more of a situation where the runner made that last big step onto the base and was barely out, (smarter and faster to slide in this case, but they don't always do it) but didn't run through or create hard contact, was just in the way. I have a specific play in mind, but don't have video of it. Is there a scenario where you would just expect the fielder to work around the runner trying to reach base safely?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Is there a scenario where you would just expect the fielder to work around the runner trying to reach base safely?
No. The only thing that changes between between runner and retired runner is who the second out is. Well, that and the possibility of obstruction.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
And as long as it is a legal slide straight into the base or a slide away from the play, you won't (shouldn't) see the additional out called.

I'm not sure how MLB rules compare to the ones you posted, but Frank Thomas (who was not fast, for anybody who doesn't remember) would just slide wherever he was in the basepath at the necessary time. I remember him sliding 35 feet from second just to not be in the way. I don't know if he had to do it by MLB rules, but he certainly proved that once you're out you can pretty easily just not be in the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles