Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Situation, runner on 2nd, ground ball to shortstop (my DD). She stopped short when the runner ran in front of her to avoid a collusion and made an error. Ump did not call interference on the runner. Same ump called interference on us in an earlier game in same situation. Judgment call on ump I know but very similar plays. I told my DD, you have the right to the ball and next time this happens to make some contact with the runner, not to get run over but just enough to get the call. Your thoughts.

Apr 1, 2010
IMO you are right. Many experienced umpires who come to this board will tell you that the rules say contact is not necessary to draw the call. But from what I and others have seen out on the fields, you are much more likely to get the call if there is contact.

From reading this site, it's also possible that if your DD and the BR make contact, she'll get an obstruction call and the BR will get 3rd (because the baseline belongs to the runner, don'cha know). ;-)

Apr 27, 2012
In ASA there is no "right to the ball" for a fielder. If they do not have the ball in possession and are in the baseline it's interference on the defense. No provision for being on the way to receiving it. Best thing to do in these situations is take a step or two back and field. If the runner touches the ball, easy out.

Jun 22, 2008
In ASA there is no "right to the ball" for a fielder. If they do not have the ball in possession and are in the baseline it's interference on the defense. No provision for being on the way to receiving it. Best thing to do in these situations is take a step or two back and field. If the runner touches the ball, easy out.

Ignition, that would be incorrect. The offense must give the defender room to field the ball. Rule supplement 33. "Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered."

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I wouldn't teach to make contact... I teach our defense to go to the ball no matter what is going on, if there is contact oh well. At no times will you give way to a runner when your trying to field a ball.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal

Don't confuse receiving a thrown ball with attempting to field a batted ball.

Sep 5, 2012
Ignition, that would be incorrect. The offense must give the defender room to field the ball. Rule supplement 33. "Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered."

Fixed it for you.......

I would also add that a runner can run in front of or in back of a fielder attempting to field a batted ball as long as they don't interfere with that action. Contact is not necessary & it's always umpire judgment.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
IMO you are right. Many experienced umpires who come to this board will tell you that the rules say contact is not necessary to draw the call. But from what I and others have seen out on the fields, you are much more likely to get the call if there is contact.

An umpire who requires contact to call INT is not a good umpire. If s/he doesn't have the ability to make a judgment, s/he is in the wrong position.

From reading this site, it's also possible that if your DD and the BR make contact, she'll get an obstruction call and the BR will get 3rd (because the baseline belongs to the runner, don'cha know). ;-)

This is true, but not for making the contact alone. OBS could be the call if the umpire judged the fielder moved to make the contact as if that is the case, the fielder was no longer attempting to field the batted ball. It would be the same with a runner diverting his/her path to draw contact for an OBS call. It is quite possible if the umpire recognizes that, the OBS may not be called.

Apr 27, 2012

That's a great page to dog ear in the rulebook. We had a game situation that the umpire stood his ground. Our SS was waiting for a grounder in the baseline and obstruction was called. The ball was not hit extremely hard, but the SS was behind the baseline at the start of the play, and stepped in to it to field the ball. I 'suppose' she could have taken another few steps on it, but home was awarded as the runner had to do a side step to get to 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand