Intentional walk rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2017
We run an aggressive offense and I see this rule as taking away 4 shots at an extra bag. You can't force an error if they don't have to throw the ball...

I agree with this, also the next batter is going to usually get a hitters pitch on the first ball as the pitcher is trying to "find the zone" again.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What is the purpose of this rule?

I am OK with it but I find it hard to believe it is to save game time, I think it is more just 1 more thing to teach that has limited value.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I don't like it. You should have to pitch 4 pitches to walk the batter. Did anyone see the Tenn game the other day??? But I think you should practice it too. It's part of the game.

Last year during HS playoffs. Extra Innings. Girl has already hit a HR early in the game. The pitcher is attempting to IW this girl. 3rd pitch is a little too close to the zone. Boom over the fence! Walk off. Game over.

I also don't like it as there are too many things that could happen especially with runners on base during those 4 balls just as it could if you were straight up pitching to the batter. Play the game..

Last week our coach IW a batter, next at bat bases loaded he decides to be brave and pitch to her Grand Slam!, Next 2 AB's are IW's.

Feb 7, 2014
I always find it interesting when pace of play or speeding up games in sports is brought up as an issue... where does everyone have to go?

Jun 22, 2008
What is the purpose of this rule?

I am OK with it but I find it hard to believe it is to save game time, I think it is more just 1 more thing to teach that has limited value.

Well, in MLB it was instituted as a speed up the game policy which is a total farce. I looked up the stats on intentional walks and comes to something like 1 every 2.6 games as I recall. As for NFHS, their reasoning was it brings the rule in line with the slow pitch rules. I have no idea why they felt the need to bring a fast pitch rule in line with a slow pitch rule. NFHS also made a major change in their ruling this year on how a run scoring on a walk is interpreted. It used to be on a walk all runners on base that were forced ahead by a walked batter were also considered to be awarded bases and on a bases loaded walk with 2 outs, the run would score regardless of what happened. They have now changed that ruling to be if a trailing runner for any reason is put out prior to the lead runner touching home plate, the run would not score. This change brings NFHS in line with USA softball on that ruling. The only problem was, NFHS neglected to tell anyone of the change in ruling, AND they even had conflicting case plays in the case book. One said the run did not score, the other said it did.

Oct 14, 2019
So, if you recognize as the coach of the fielding team that the hitting team is hitting out of order, can you call an intentional walk? Batter who should have batted is out and the batter who walked returns to the dugout.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
BIG Part of the game is the pitcher has to pitch to batters.

Not pick and chose who to by-pass.

My hitting mindset includes
"You cant throw it by me!"

*That includes 4 not strike pitches!

Sports=Skills against Skills !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06