ImPACT baseline testing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone's DD done this? It is neurocognitive testing done on a computer to get an idea of the person's premorbid level of skills in several different domains, including working memory, attention, verbal recognition memory, visual recognition memory, reaction time, and processing speed. Then, if the person is ever injured and there is the question of a concussion, the test can be repeated and results compared to the baseline results.

DD will be attending a private school next year, and the baseline test is required of all incoming students. She's going to do it tomorrow. Anyone have experience with this? What are your thoughts? I'm a clinical psychologist, and I know from experience it's awesome to have a baseline pre-injury. Otherwise, you have no idea how much (if any) cognitive damage the concussion has caused. It could help to make decisions down the line, especially if the person suffers multiple blows to the head.

Here's some info on the test:

https://www.impacttest.com/about/?The-ImPACT-Test-4

Jul 17, 2015
The Impact test is mandatory for all MS/HS athletes in DD's school district. I think all the schools districts in this region requires the Impact test. The clinicians can locate the area/type of concussion that a person sustains. Also, they can track the healing process. My youngest DD just went through the process with a major concussions. She was too young (10) for the baseline testing and it happen during a non-school sport. After her injury, the clinicians were able to pin-point the area of concussion and the types of concussion she sustained with the Impact test. They tailored her recovery activities and exercises using the results of the bi-weekly Impact tests. While her recovery was long (10 weeks before she was cleared), the testing she received let us see her progress through the recovery process.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Lots of schools in Gwinnett County are offering 4/23 (my daughter will miss the date as we are out of town). I'd love to hear how it went. I have to schedule a separate appointment for DD.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I'm all for this and am hopeful it becomes much more widespread. In our area it has not become readily available. I did take both DDs for the King-Devick Test which was administered by their eye Doc. It is a simple enough test providing a baseline that can be compared easily at any point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55