I hate coaching politics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2010
Today was the last straw, my DD's TB team is a mix of girls whom half have to move up to 12u in January, and the other half are young enough to stay 10u...today was the first tourney played in a month, infield is lined up as this, coachs' twin daughters will be moving up come new year are the 1st pitcher and catcher, a 9yo shortstop whose grandma is the major sponsor, also being courted up (cause why would you leave your sponsors money....i mean grand daughter behind)a thirdbase whos also 9yo, (ss cousin) and hasnt stopped a ball in the outfield during practice, and never played 3rd till today, second base another 9yo that has a decent glove and good arm, and my DD at 1st.....

first game 20-3 (7errors by ss and 3rd)
second game 16-5 (5 errors by ss and 3rd)
third game 19-4 (12 errors by ss and 3rd and left field)
fourth game a heartbreaking 9-8 (5 errors by third)
at no time was 2nd or third ever switched until last inning of last game, there were other errors, but after that error player was subd' out immediately in every position, except short and third.. there are a total of 17 girls on this team, and 3 girls who should be atleast getting playing time didnt....

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
We've all seen this happen in rec. league. When I was in little league, I was starting 1B until we got a new coach. The new coach's son played 1B, and I became second string 1B. Unfortunately for the team, the coach's son was afraid of the ball and couldn't catch a thing. We didn't do so well that year.

How much are you paying to be on the TB team? "Daddy Ball" is totally inexcusable when you're paying big money. A TB team is a business, and needs to be run as such. Given what you described, I would insist on a refund of my money and find another TB team that is run in a professional manner. With the outlay of money that's expected in TB, there's no way I would tolerate such behavior.

Oct 19, 2009
We've all seen this happen in rec. league. When I was in little league, I was starting 1B until we got a new coach. The new coach's son played 1B, and I became second string 1B. Unfortunately for the team, the coach's son was afraid of the ball and couldn't catch a thing. We didn't do so well that year.

How much are you paying to be on the TB team? "Daddy Ball" is totally inexcusable when you're paying big money. A TB team is a business, and needs to be run as such. Given what you described, I would insist on a refund of my money and find another TB team that is run in a professional manner. With the outlay of money that's expected in TB, there's no way I would tolerate such behavior.

Right on, right on!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
This year we picked up a new player from another organization. She came to us
after 3 years on a team where she only played OF. I asked her parents why she never played
IF, the response? "We had 5 coaches and their daughters all played IF". This girl
now platoons at 2B and some SS. She is a a very good player who never knew there
were teams that played no 'daddy ball'

May 25, 2010
9yo is too young for girls who can't play to be on teams that play in competitive tournaments.

It sounds like you're in a pretty bad situation. I'd have a conference with my daughter, then with the coach, and then begin working on finding your next organization.

Jun 21, 2010
9yo is too young for girls who can't play to be on teams that play in competitive tournaments.

Is there a good age for girls who can't play to be on teams that play in competitive tournaments? Sorry, not trying to be a wise guy. I just don't really understand this statement.

Sep 3, 2009

When my dd first wanted to get into travel ball, I learned a valuable lesson. I was lucky and had a parent of an older girl who played travel ball take me under their wing and offer some advice. She said "just in case"... always ask up front if you can pay it in installments, NEVER EVER pay it all up front.

May 25, 2010
Is there a good age for girls who can't play to be on teams that play in competitive tournaments? Sorry, not trying to be a wise guy. I just don't really understand this statement.

No problem, because you're right. I don't believe that you just flip a switch and turn a girl into a ball player by moving her from rec to competitive. If she can't show basic softball aptitude in rec, then she needs to either continue playing for fun or find a different activity more suited to her skills...and desires.

That team's plan to move two 9yo girls to 12u when they're not even solid at 10u is just a big mistake.

Sep 10, 2010
We were asked to leave team, and given full refund, i was deemed a trouble maker at parents meeting yesterday, i wasnt even fighting for my kids playing time, my kids are good enough to earn there time, we are going to form a new team with all the parents that didnt want to put up with all the bs

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
We were asked to leave team, and given full refund, i was deemed a trouble maker at parents meeting yesterday, i wasnt even fighting for my kids playing time, my kids are good enough to earn there time, we are going to form a new team with all the parents that didnt want to put up with all the bs

I think you'll look back and see this outcome is for the best. Best of luck with the new team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar