I got crushed in the chest with a ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
With the warm weather we took the kids to the fields to hit balls after work.
We had some rain and the fields were muddy. The majors field was a muddy mess so we took DD to the minors fields to hit balls. She likes to drive em over the short fence. There was a minors team practicing on the grass on the next field over but all of the parents cars were parked just past the fence. I was scared that DD would hit a few balls over and damage a car. So I stuck her in on the edge of the OF and I set up 25 feet away to pitch to her (I know too close) with no screen :(
She grabbed her old school Rip It Elite and hit a few balls. I had 3 left in the bucket and with a few parents from the minors watching, tossed her a cookie and she blasted a frozen rope so fast and so hard that for the first time I could not get my glove up fast enough. It was like slow motion and by the time my glove reached my chest the ball had impacted and bounced off.
It hit the spot on my mid chest just above my stomach and below my pecks. The sound it made was scary. Good news is that I do not feel any rib damage or have any issues breathing. Tomorrow may be a different story. Lesson learned, the hard way. Glad it wasn't my face, it's bad enough as it is :D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am way to old and slow to be throwing front toss to any players older than 10 without an L-screen. Hope everything works out OK!

Feb 12, 2014
A couple of years ago I had to pull a matrix-like move out of my rear end to avoid getting one right in the forehead from DD. That was the last time I threw to her without a screen. Never again. No screen? Tee work and soft toss.

There was a little league coach in NJ last year who was killed throwing BP to his team. Just not worth it.

Nov 30, 2013
BT3100 Wow! Glad you are okay.I began windmill pitching to DD last year and many times almost got hit with line drives to the head.I said I would never pitch to her again this season until I purchased a pitching screen.I ended up getting a Louisville slugger UPM pitching screen through Amazon for $118.00.This thing is pretty solid w/double netting and since the pic was taken I have wrapped the perimeter pipes w/pipe insulation to prevent comebackers to DD while hitting and protecting the pipes around the screen the screen.Heal up quick and please think about getting a screen before pitching to your DD again.View attachment 7801

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd's HS team did a fundraiser clinic for younger players a couple days ago. ..
My 16yr old dd was front tossing to a 10u kid, (who just so happens to be one of my weekly regular hitting students) (she sure as hell don't hit like a 10 yr old kid)
The giant bruise on my dd's bicep is proof that a screen is always needed.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Buy a set of TCB balls. You can front toss from 15 feet and you don't need a screen.
This is true, but your limited to the number of hits you should take due the the weight of them. So your reps would go way down. TCB makes a hollow wiffle too, they're definitely safer than real balls, but sting like fire when you get hit in your face (not that it ever happened to me :) )
My favorite front toss ball to use with no screen is the MOJO ball. I think they may have changed their name recently...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am way to old and slow to be throwing front toss to any players older than 10 without an L-screen. Hope everything works out OK!

I know a couple of 10yos that might inspire you to adjust your number downward.

BT3100 - I'm glad you are okay.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My favorite front toss ball to use with no screen is the MOJO ball. I think they may have changed their name recently...

The Mojo Ball is now the Anywhere Ball...The Mojo Ball

We use these on the field, in the back yard, and in the house (when DW is not around - shhhhh!). I also pitch them to my DD to work on her receiving mechanics. They have been a worthwhile softball investment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207