how to slide

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2010
what is the best way to teach young girls how to slide many of these girls have never played before. Is it better to do it on the outfield grass or do you just put them on the hard gravel infield we play on. Any ideas drills would help.

May 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
We have a mat out in the grass with a base at the end. It is a sheet that you would hang in a shower so it is pretty slick. The girls have to take their cleats off but they seem more willing to slide with it.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
When my daughter was 9, her team learned to slide using a slip-n-slide and mud. Now that she's 13, mud sliding day at the high school camp is still her favorite. I thought I'd share our favorite picture.

Attachments

• ScottieMud.jpg
    ScottieMud.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 28
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What I have done is explain what a propper slide looks like. Those that didn't know how to slide went over to the side with 2 coaches. The 2 coaches would support the player under her armpit and do a few walk throughs on how to place the legs. Then they progressively got faster and faster until the girl can feel what she needs to do. Typically within 15 minutes they are sliding on their own. Then we work on the finer details after they aren't afraid anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad