How committed is a verbal commit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RHC, actually, the players hate the travel. At least that is my dd's experience. She started this year in Arizona in the NFCA Tipoff Classic. In 6 games, they played 5 teams ranked in the "Top 25." They flew out on a Thursday and then, flew home on a Monday. DD missed 3 tests and a bunch of homework assignments. They get back, try to get caught up on what they missed in the classroom while having practice at 6 each morning, weightlifting afterwards, school, and then practice. On Thursday, they took off for Alabama. Tournament in Alabama and got in at 3 in the morning Monday from Alabama. Had to make it to school classes on that Monday. DD came home this weekend and actually fell asleep talking to us. I helped get her to bed. She said that while driving home, all she could think of was that she would sleep in her own bed and that my wife and I would let her sleep all she wanted today. She is back at school and will not have another weekend off until softball is done. Travel sounds great to the recruits. Arizona is proving to be a great draw for recruits. Alabama is always neat. Still, they are students and they have to somehow keep up.

Dec 7, 2011
All great discussion here, you guys are great.

Ya my buddies DD would be just fine with the D2 school she verballed to. But what my buddie and i both share is a strong desire to get a full scholarship. (But never forcing DD anywhere she would not want to go). Both our DD's along with us dad's are pretty flexible with all aspects except for having big school loans in the end.

So given that my buddy and his DD are both thinking "look further" but dont know the right way to handle things from here.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sad fact is unless someone is a super stud, mostly a pitcher, full athletic rides are not going to happen. Especially at d2, what do they get, 7 softball scholarships? That's not much to go around for a roster. Merit money, fed, state and private scholarships make up the difference. But you gotta go get them and most you can't apply for until the senior year, so the amounts of funds are uncertain for younger commitments.

Again CB is right, parents and DD's may "think" D1 is all that, but it will be a schedule like they have never seen in their lives. Lots of girls and boys say "to heck with it" before the first year is up. ( playing ball )

That's why sometimes D3, NAIA, JUCO can be better for the "student athlete". NAIA have 10 scholarships, so they have a little more flexibility for % rides than D2.

JUCO can also be a good way to go for various reasons. Most JUCO are full rides ( think they get 24 ). You're pretty much going to play due to the 2 year eligibility, compared to some who sit their first 2 years in D1. Then you keep "recruiting" lines open to the 4 year colleges for transfer. This is a good way for some 4 year to see how you perform at a level beyond HS and travel. ( just make sure classes/courses are transferable to the 4 year )

Anyway, there are a few ways to skin the "college cat".

Apr 9, 2012
ANother perspective on commitments.

Decommit and it tarnishes the reputation of the coach and recruiter. Being its still a small community there always willbe consequences.

If a coach tarnishes a recruiters image that coach will not go far and so on and so on.

Its about reputation (and karma). A commitment means that recruiter and college coach stop looking for that particular need and move on to the next need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619