Help-- need quick advance on LH throw catchers mitt for a 9YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The EvoShield thumb guard protects the joint at the base of the thumb, which is different than the area protected by the palm guard glove. I'm not sure why EvoShield makes two different thumb guards (baseball and softball), but it appears the softball version has better coverage of the thumb joint.

As for a long-term mitt, it's largely due to personal preference. The best option is try as many options as possible and find the on that feels best for your DD.

A year and a half into catching, my 10yo DD has used...
- Miz GXS101 (starter mitt, with EvoShield thumb guard)
- Vinci JCV-22 (compatibility issues)
- Miz GXS92 (good fit and feel, with EvoShield)
- Akadema AAR64 (DD loves it, enough thumb protection to go without the EvoShield)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not familiar with that specific mitt, but I have a lot of faith in All-Star gear...and Jay's recommendations. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
At that speed, I don't have a lot of confidence that the GXS101 will provide sufficient padding and structure to be a good choice for more than an emergency situation. If that's your only option at the moment, I HIGHLY recommend something like the EvoShield thumb guard. My DD learned the hard way with that exact mitt and a pitcher at that speed. During a pre-game warm-up, my DD didn't have her thumb guard in, and took a pitch off the the base of her thumb. She wasn't able to catch for 2 weeks.

At higher speeds my DD didn't have any issues with hand protection with the Mizuno. It did wear the mitt out quickly though. I cant remember the LS model she is using now but it is much more sturdy. Our biggest issue in finding a mitt is having it fit her small hands well.

Jan 22, 2011
I'm not familiar with that specific mitt, but I have a lot of faith in All-Star gear...and Jay's recommendations. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

I definitely will once she has a couple games under her belt!

Just got an email All-Star has shipped it and I should have it by Thursday.

Jan 3, 2014
The EvoShield thumb guard protects the joint at the base of the thumb, which is different than the area protected by the palm guard glove. I'm not sure why EvoShield makes two different thumb guards (baseball and softball), but it appears the softball version has better coverage of the thumb joint.

As for a long-term mitt, it's largely due to personal preference. The best option is try as many options as possible and find the on that feels best for your DD.

A year and a half into catching, my 10yo DD has used...
- Miz GXS101 (starter mitt, with EvoShield thumb guard)
- Vinci JCV-22 (compatibility issues)
- Miz GXS92 (good fit and feel, with EvoShield)
- Akadema AAR64 (DD loves it, enough thumb protection to go without the EvoShield)

At the risk of derailing this thread. Both my DD and DS have tried the EvoShield thumb guards. We tried two each, because I was sure we just didn't fit them properly. Nope, neither kid cares for them. They can't explain why. They both much prefer the thumb guards we found at "catchersthumb" dot com. In case you've never tried them, my kids are happy with them. I have no dog in the race except preventing injury, which they seem to have done. Hard to prove a negative though.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
At the risk of derailing this thread. Both my DD and DS have tried the EvoShield thumb guards. We tried two each, because I was sure we just didn't fit them properly. Nope, neither kid cares for them. They can't explain why. They both much prefer the thumb guards we found at "catchersthumb" dot com. In case you've never tried them, my kids are happy with them. I have no dog in the race except preventing injury, which they seem to have done. Hard to prove a negative though.

I haven't seen the Catcher's Thumb before. Looks promising. I agree that the EvoShield can be challenging to form, and if it's not right, it can be uncomfortable to use. I like that the Catcher's Thumb is re-moldable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles