Help !! Need a Defensive Fielding/Throwing Drill ASAP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I must have missed this. Could you please elaborate a bit?

Thanks

When infielders, or even base stealers lead with the foot closest to their anticipated fielding position, or the base they are running to, too often the first step is with the closest foot. That step takes time just like any other. They pick the foot up, rotate it, and step down 8 inches from where the foot started. The first step should be a cross-over step. That is why I teach a knee-knocking fielding position, the knees pressed in, in fielding position, catching stance with runners on, etc. and so does Howard Kobota's fielding videos.

Aug 2, 2008
Crossover step, got it. Makes total sense, just one of those things I missed along the way. Ill start paying attention, it'll be interesting to see what the kids on our team do naturally.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Crossover step, got it. Makes total sense, just one of those things I missed along the way. Ill start paying attention, it'll be interesting to see what the kids on our team do naturally.

Howard Kobata -- Defensive Fielding Drills - YouTube

I will show you something in Kobota's video that shows this, but is missing the follow-up from the short video on youtube. At :30 seconds Howard is demonstrating the proper knock-kneed position to facilitate a cross-over to move left or right. I haven't seen other coaches teach this in videos. I felt I was a stranger to it, so I was thrilled to see him teach it. I do teach one thing differently. Just before these frames you will see the SS do an "outside" pivot at 2nd base. The girl does the kick-through inside her lead foot. I teach to do the kick-through outside the lead foot which does two things. First it orients the shoulders and feet more directly at 1B, and secondly it reduces tripping on the bag. With an outside kick-through, the foot slides down the edge of the bag after contact, and doesn't hook the bag with the toe as it does on the inside kick-through. Except for that I have seen no exceptions in what we teach.

Aug 2, 2008
Knock kneed, never called it that but have always taught it. Just called it knees inside feet, or equal pressure towards the midline and you can go either direction quicker.

The girl does the kick-through inside her lead foot. I teach to do the kick-through outside the lead foot which does two things. First it orients the shoulders and feet more directly at 1B, and secondly it reduces tripping on the bag.

As to the bold I will give it a try.

On another note. I have all my infielders "creep" in as the pitch is being delivered. Like a tennis player waiting a serve I believe if they are already moving, then reacting to a hit ball will be much easier. They go down with the pitcher and inch toward the batter.

Your thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32