Having the worst HS season!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
A dad on my DD's TB team is trying to recruit my DD to play catcher for his kid's private school team. I told him there are 20K reasons why I wouldn't consider entertaining that idea among many other things such class rank, friends, distance, and JUST for her Senior year. He said they offer "scholarships" and the coach could be pretty motivated to bring in a stud catcher. I haven't even said anything to my DD. She's upstairs right now. Let me see what she says.....Okay that was a big fat NO. "not my senior year!" she says. I tried.

Mr. Socks, we know each other and our kids play against each other !
I won't say too much other than that is a big no no here. Especially if it is a TAPPS private school.

Mar 29, 2017
I know that the private schools in my area scout and offer scholarships. I have no idea if it is legal, but I know they do it. Same with another state we lived in before here. My oldest was offered a spot actually, but the school was to far from where we lived and when we researched it the school had a pretty big drug problem.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Mr. Socks, we know each other and our kids play against each other !
I won't say too much other than that is a big no no here. Especially if it is a TAPPS private school.

Not TAPPS. And yes, I thought the very same thing, but I did not ask about details as there was no interest. The one thing I was told is the coach cannot initiate contact. I would have to reach out first.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
We have a local school here that recruits for sports. Not surprising that their sports teams are usually very good and have been successful for many years. This school recruited one Alexis Silkwood that should have went to my DD's school. I know a lot of people on here were not a fan because of the whole "skippy" thing, but if you look up the Illinois State softball all time records, it is truly amazing how many times her name is on there. They have a current pitcher (senior) that is pretty good and committed to Pitt. They also took a girl from our school district that is a sophmore that is a stud pitcher. Also two sisters that are pretty good ball players that should have been at DD's school. Coach was just in the papers last week celebrating his 500th victory. Yes I am a little salty lol.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
We have a local school here that recruits for sports. Not surprising that their sports teams are usually very good and have been successful for many years. This school recruited one Alexis Silkwood that should have went to my DD's school. I know a lot of people on here were not a fan because of the whole "skippy" thing, but if you look up the Illinois State softball all time records, it is truly amazing how many times her name is on there. They have a current pitcher (senior) that is pretty good and committed to Pitt. They also took a girl from our school district that is a sophmore that is a stud pitcher. Also two sisters that are pretty good ball players that should have been at DD's school. Coach was just in the papers last week celebrating his 500th victory. Yes I am a little salty lol.

Can't do any recruiting in IL either, and that's not just limited to coaches. Anybody associated with the school, even students, though I can't imagine a kid saying "hey, you should come to my school" is something they can or would enforce as a recruiting violation (probably more aimed at coaches getting current players to try to talk to 8th graders).

You can't even try to get prospective students to come to the school to participate in sports even if you don't offer them anything (scholarships, etc).

We even have language like this in the guidelines, "Any information presented or distributed shall not imply, in any manner, that the member school’s athletic program is better or more accomplished than any other member school’s athletic program." About the only exception to that is putting team records/accomplishments in materials, provided it's all true.

Of course, it's likely all the best teams do some form of recruiting, especially private schools. It's basically impossible for the IHSA to police a coach saying to a player he knows "Hey, come to our school. We need a pitcher next year."

Mar 29, 2017
So DD1 heard from one of the other college coaches from she has verballed with. He asked why she quit and she told him because of poor coaching and not being happy on the team. He then told her that the HS has a reputation with colleges he knows for being poorly coached and understands completely.

They are now 2-10, having most recently lost 0-11 to a team that they we competing with until late in the game (bases loaded triple and batter eventually scored) and lost 7-11 when DD was still on the team.

Mar 29, 2017
So the travel season is almost here. Due to some injuries, it looks like DD1 will be possibly playing some different positions. She is excited to get back to her team.

Update on the HS team, they haven’t scored a run in the last 4 games and allowed at least 8 in the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles