Hank Aaron statue fails the Hanson Principle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
If anyone ever decides to make a statue of me I give them full poetic license to give me hair..

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
That's true. Happens in movies too. In Field of Dreams, I can't get past the fact that Shoeless Joe Jackson is shown batting right-handed and speaking in no way like a country boy from Greenville, SC, would have a century ago.

Weird.

I used to have a book I inherited from my father that had all the baseball stats, I mean ALL the baseball stats, from the beginning of major league baseball until the days of Joltin' Joe. It was a 75th anniversary edition of something, probably the first major league game.

Anyway, I looked up the stats on Moonlight Graham, and they got them right.

Putting Shoeless Joe as a righty isn't quite as bad as say, Lefty Grove or Lefty Carlton, but bad enough. Truly sloppy for a movie that made such a big deal out of the early days of baseball.

May 16, 2016
I think the statue is incredibly accurate. IMHO, pictures on the internet do not do it justice. Couple of examples of Hank's moment of contact.

Hank.JPG

Attachments

• Hank.JPG
    Hank.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think the statue is incredibly accurate. IMHO, pictures on the internet do not do it justice. Couple of examples of Hank's moment of contact.

We might have to move this to the technical hitting forum, where we not only debate videos, but now statues. :)

Thanks for the photos. I think the second one shows what the artist must've been looking at, or something similar. But I'd note that this is a split second after contact. I'd be pretty confident that he was not fully extended (like in the statue) at contact. In the first photo, Aaron's arms are not fully extended at contact. If the statue had looked like that, I would not have taken issue with it. In fact, I would've loved a statue with Hank's back foot a little off the ground.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I believe that the Aaron statue is supposed to be his 715th home run. Below is a photo of that, and it's very similar to the statue, although the bat might need to be tilted slightly higher. It appears that the artist chose to stick a ball onto Hank's bat, making it the moment of contact, when in fact the ball had begun to travel into space. That's where the main Hanson violation occurs.

And I want to add that I simply find the statue a little amusing. I wasn't saying I didn't like the statue. As a Braves fan and native Georgian, I'm proud of Hank and very pleased that he was on hand to witness this statue's unveiling. He's a treasure. I'm sure the statue will grow to be that also.

52796b338f356b662cfb30a73927bd7b.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
I believe that the Aaron statue is supposed to be his 715th home run. Below is a photo of that, and it's very similar to the statue, although the bat might need to be tilted slightly higher. It appears that the artist chose to stick a ball onto Hank's bat, making it the moment of contact, when in fact the ball had begun to travel into space. That's where the main Hanson violation occurs.

And I want to add that I simply find the statue a little amusing. I wasn't saying I didn't like the statue. As a Braves fan and native Georgian, I'm proud of Hank and very pleased that he was on hand to witness this statue's unveiling. He's a treasure. I'm sure the statue will grow to be that also.

If you haven't already, I think when you see it in person, you may gain more appreciation for the level of detail the artist included in this statue. This thread prompted me to read a few articles on the statue, and one mentioned the artist had previously done a portrait of Hank, which is now in the Smithsonian... So i googled, and... well check this out... that is not a photograph, it's an oil painting.

hankaaron_rossin_040315.jpg

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you haven't already, I think when you see it in person, you may gain more appreciation for the level of detail the artist included in this statue. This thread prompted me to read a few articles on the statue, and one mentioned the artist had previously done a portrait of Hank, which is now in the Smithsonian... So i googled, and... well check this out... that is not a photograph, it's an oil painting.

Cool. That is impressive. But I hope you understand that I wasn't critiquing the statue as a piece of art, but as a model for hitting. You might even say that I was poking fun at myself and others who spend so much time analyzing swings that we are compelled to give advice on how to hit to a piece of art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi