Getting back up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I have seen numerous posts and drills listed about teaching catchers how to drop and block. What I've never seen is any drills or tips on the quickest way to get back up to the feet to track down a blocked ball.

The type of situation I'm thinking about is with a runner on base that is not stealing and a ball that is blocked and controlled out in front of the catcher. The catcher needs to be able to pop back up and get to the ball quickly in order to keep the runner from thinking about advancing.

Are there any drills or quick ways to keep a catcher from making too many moves getting back to their feet?

What I've been doing with my catchers after they block a ball is to have them lean forward slightly and use their hands on the ground to support and steady themselves while they get both feet back under themselves simultaneously. I then have them take the first step towards the ball while keeping their body low so they can scoop the ball with both hands and pop into a throwing position.

Is there something I can do with them that is more efficient?

Sep 3, 2009
This technique works great. The proof comes when you hear 1B coach telling a runner on 1st to go, then quickly telling them to come back after the block. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi