First base running lane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Can someone remind me of the purpose of the line running parallel to the first-base line? ...

Let's say a right-handed hitter bunts and then runs directly toward first base. She is struck by a ball thrown by the catcher while still inside the foul line but having taken a direct path from point of bunt to first base. Is she (batter/runner) protected?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If the softball rule is the same as the baseball rule then the runner is only protected if she is in the 3 ft running lane. If she is outside of the running lane she can be called out for interference if struck with the ball and in the umpire's judgement would have been out had she not been in the way of the throw.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Can someone remind me of the purpose of the line running parallel to the first-base line? ...

Let's say a right-handed hitter bunts and then runs directly toward first base. She is struck by a ball thrown by the catcher while still inside the foul line but having taken a direct path from point of bunt to first base. Is she (batter/runner) protected?

In USSSA:

Rule 8. Sec 17 E
The batter-runner is out:

E. When he runs outside the three-foot running lane (last half of the distance from home plate to first base) while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base.
EXCEPTION
: This infraction is ignored if it is to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field the batted ball or if the act does not interfere with a
fielder or a throw.

So run in the lane, hit by a throw, always protected unless you intentionally interfere with the throw/fielder.
So run out of the lane, hit by a throw, out.
So run out of the lane, fielder has to throw over you, technically out (but good luck getting that call).
So run out of the lane, no interference on the throw/fielding effort, result of play

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Being that the rule states the running lane is the last half distance (30ft). What is the call if a righty bunts and is moving towards the running lane but is only 20ft down the line. I'm guessing it's a judgement call? If the running lane is not painted (which i'm yet to see it chalked out at a 12U game i've attented/coached) is this also a judgement call or is the rule negated?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If the runner is not yet half way the running lane doesn't apply. Therefore a runner is treated just like at any other base and the onus is on the fielder to avoid hitting the runner with the throw unless the runner intentionally tries to interfere with the throw. At least that's how I understand the rule.

Feb 12, 2011
On a bunted ball down the first base line that the catcher gets the ball, she has the right to throw the ball in a straight line to first base. Which means a direct path to first base. If the runner happens to be in the direct path to the base and gets hit by the ball runner is out. If a defensive player hits the runner going to first base and the throw is not in the direct path to the base runner is safe. This rule is put in place so when girls are running to first they are not running and not creating interference with the throw. Also any high-end catcher will take the easy out and hit the girl in fair territory.

Mar 26, 2013
... If the running lane is not painted (which i'm yet to see it chalked out at a 12U game i've attented/coached) is this also a judgement call or is the rule negated?
It is the umpire's judgement, just like any other missing line (e.g. batter's box, coach's box, foul line).

Jul 2, 2013
Forget about the right-handed batters, and focus on the left-handed slappers.

Catchers and fully charged 3rd basemen can and will drill the base-runner in the back if they are not in the lane. Right of the direct line from home base to 1st base. Argue about the paint, or lack of, if you want. It is an easy call as the home base umpire is looking directly down the line.

Most always the judgement call by the umpire is interference by the runner.

Deal with it. Because the elevated defensive players know, take advantage of it, because it has been called their way for so long.

Some catchers, the great one, know this and will use it to their advantage when they see fit.

Left handed slappers, better get to the right of the baseline. Because your back is exposed, and some catchers will aim for it.

Left handed slapping is an art unto itself. Hitting with foot almost on the plate, batting in front of the box, half bunting/half slapping ... on and on. Most all judgement calls. Great slappers get their licks too, and know this rule will work against them, as they purposely take advantage of the rules they can win.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
On a bunted ball down the first base line that the catcher gets the ball, she has the right to throw the ball in a straight line to first base. Which means a direct path to first base. If the runner happens to be in the direct path to the base and gets hit by the ball runner is out. If a defensive player hits the runner going to first base and the throw is not in the direct path to the base runner is safe. This rule is put in place so when girls are running to first they are not running and not creating interference with the throw. Also any high-end catcher will take the easy out and hit the girl in fair territory.
A high end catcher can and will make a drop step and through the ball to first base. Rather then hit a runner with the hopes that the ump will perceive the play as you describe

Jun 22, 2008
It is not an automatic out if the runner is hit with the ball. It must be a quality throw, and the runner must have interfered with the player taking the throw at 1st bases ability to catch the throw. Prior to the running lane the runner has no different than any other runner, they do not have to avoid the throw, but they cannot intentionally interfere with it either. If the rule was an automatic out for hitting the runner with the ball out of the lane, it would just give the defense license to bean the runner killing the play and returning any other runners to the last base occupied.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619