Double play: lead off 3rd strike clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
Runner at 1st called for a lead off by base ump,runner is out.
Pitcher finishes pitch to batter, plate ump called 3rd strike, double play.
The clarification I'm looking for: is the lead off a dead ball call, or is it still a live ball after lead off is called.
Does the pitched ball finish the play?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Leaving base before the pitch is released is an immediate dead ball. The runner is out. No further action can happen on the play. So, it is impossible to get two outs when a runner leaves base early.

(Disclaimer: The NCAA rule is that the ball remains live. At the end of the play, the defensive coach has the option of enforcing the leaving early or taking the results of the play and the baserunning violation is ignored. For this play, the choice would be call the runner out and no pitch, or enforce the strike out and the runner winds up wherever she makes it to. But...I doubt that this was an NCAA game.)

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
TB 18u. That is how I thought is should have been called. Thanks for the clarification.
The base ump was delayed in his initial call on the lead off, which was the explanation I got from the plate ump that the infraction at 1st came after he called the 3rd strike. However, if the 1st base infraction happened after the 3rd strike, there couldn't be a lead off. He looked at me and said, I've given you my explanation for the call, were done here. Next batter!

Mar 15, 2014
TB 18u. That is how I thought is should have been called. Thanks for the clarification.
The base ump was delayed in his initial call on the lead off, which was the explanation I got from the plate ump that the infraction at 1st came after he called the 3rd strike. However, if the 1st base infraction happened after the 3rd strike, there couldn't be a lead off. He looked at me and said, I've given you my explanation for the call, were done here. Next batter!
Since the runner can leave upon the release it would be impossible to get a strikeout and a leaving early out.
( Assuming non NCAA rules game)
Even if the BU was "late" in his call the dead ball situation would take preference.
If this was a game breaker the coach could have filed a protest--otherwise just chalk it up as a bad call.

Jun 22, 2008
As has already been indicated, you cannot have 2 outs on a leaving early call. If the base umpire had called the leaving early in a timely manner, the correct call is to raise the hands and declare "NO PITCH!" then call the runner out. Regardless of if the umpire made the call in a timely manner, the situation still resulted in a no pitch situation. Nothing can happen after the runner left the base early.

Mar 15, 2014
Time to call over the tourney director and get the rule correct.

Yes--that is why I love doing tournaments.
I once had a director over rule my (proper) ruling on a batting out of order appeal--he wanted the batter who was up to be called out.
Which was fine by me--sometimes it is nice to be an Indian rather than a chief.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30