Does Size Matter in S.B.?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
All through rec and travel ball I heard the murmuring about how DD wasn’t that good, she was just tall. I’m seeing some of the same stereotypes touched on here. At some point parents have to realize it’s not the height, it’s work ethic and skill that makes a kid a D1 prospect. I watched kids of all shapes and sizes flourish. If a kid can play most coaches don’t care how big, or small she is.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
it’s work ethic and skill that makes a kid a D1 prospect. I watched kids of all shapes and sizes flourish. If a kid can play most coaches don’t care how big, or small she is.
I 100% agree with everything you just said here, but unfortunately it’s not always the case!

Mar 10, 2020
My DD is 18 now, freshman in college, 5'0" and stays around 135 pounds. I will say size absolutely matters in softball, of course there's differing opinions, but I got to see it first hand for years!

She was attending an invite camp at a D1 campus, probably 25 girls? She had an outstanding camp, pitched two shutout innings, went straight to SS and turned a double play, then made a diving play behind the bag and flipped for the force back to second. She had two base clearing triples and a single. All of this in the camp's ending scrimmage. Overall just a great camp with a couple of coaches going out of their way to talk to her.

Both elbows were bleeding and she looked like she had been drug around the infield. During the coaches talk afterwards, now this is the coach of this D1 school, he calls Anna up in front of everyone, he wants to talk about heart, leadership, and character. This guy is probably 6'5" and he had his arm around Anna standing beside her.

He says "this little lady here has to hit for the cycle and make 2 or 3 ESPN plays just to turn a coaches head" and about that time this 6'+ tall super clean blonde girl walks through the gate for the afternoon camp. He says "wow, perfect timing........all that girl right there has to do is walk on the field and she grabs every coaches attention, it's a fact!"

Anyway, he went into this spill about he'd take heart and commitment any day blah, blah, but he admitted right then, size matters!
Your dd playing in a college program at her size is prominant point here.
Congrats but not becsuse of her size. Because of her talent.

The issue with the male coach pointing out the tall blonde approching is another topic.
Never call any players little lady. Thats another topic.
Topics that really dont have to do with talent factor anyway.

Jun 8, 2016
So I guess the real point of this thread was to confirm what everybody already knew, that people (including coaches) have biases?? There have been about 5 threads on the board in the last year which devolved to the point where this was the topic. Maybe somebody should start a subgroup or something...

Life isn't fair..most days I have more hair growing on my ears than my head...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:) True to form how the many individuals see a topic, perspectives excetra....
Comes multiple thought proccess to any topic.
Think its good to bring different views TO the table!

*This post from my perspective and reason to post.~
To encourage every player!
"I know of and continue to see talent, of different size, play competively growing up,
be recruited, and play at all levels of college."

*Certainly there are many examples of this others know of making an impression on the field!

Is there prejudice/bias?
Yes.
The great thing is those do not close all the opportunities that exist!

EveryBODY regardless of size has to....
Work hard!
To
Develop skills!

GO SOFTBALL !

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
My DD may grow a little bit more in height, but not much. She is just over 5' She is likely to take after me with being vertically challenged. She has figured out without us having to tell her, that in her case, it is going to take more effort to succeed. She is short and weighs less than 110lbs. She converted to slap hitting just over a year ago, which will be more valuable than she was on the right side. She is working extra hard at swinging away also. She has always had the gift of natural speed, but not height. Hopefully between this and replacing her OF glove with a recommended Vinci, she is sure to succeed! I do feel that she will be limited in her school options as we know first had from others that some coaches do not budge from their views on height.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yeah the 5'9' #135 that can crush side toss or coach pitch bp but couldn't hit a riseball or work a walk if her life depended on it. But she has a "high ceiling". Pitchers probably get the shortest end of the stick when it comes to size.
Smart and observant coaches will find talent at all sizes.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Examples talent like your dd
denise_anngolf
While there are many
These two VERY COMPETITIVE teams every year showcase talent like your dd Denise.

Tony Rico Team Firecrackers. Majority of team he coaches predominantly carry short fast players and lefties.
It is actually a seemingly standard
for 'his team'.

Marty Tyson Corona Angels also mix shorter speed on his roster.

Both of these teams players consistanly get recruited D1.
Would even go as far to say probably every player/ 98% D1

These are TOP 20 TIER pgf premier nationals teams consistantly.
And many years top 5.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
One of my favorite “size does not matter” pics

my DD on the left was 5’4” at the time. We watched in awe as the Arizona State player launched 220’ HR’s in batting practice. My current team (now 14’s) had 4 kids hit HRS AT 11U and they were 105-120 in weight1584037257260.png

1584037257260.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi